1 to 1.5 Inch Lift for JL Rubicon

texasbryan

Does anyone make a 1 or 1.5" lift for the JL? I have seen some leveling kits but I'm wanting to maintain the factory rake while raising my Rubicon 1 to 1.5 inches. Just enough to make sure I have good clearance with my 35 inch tires.

Would coil spacers typically be the best way to achieve this amount of lift? Any downsides to coil spacers vs new springs, shocks, etc. I appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Going with just a 1" coil spacer lift, you shouldn't have any issues. Unfortunately, the only spacers I've seen so far are just for the front to "level" things out as you have noted. That being said, I'm pretty sure you can make JK spacers work.

texasbryan

Going with just a 1" coil spacer lift, you shouldn't have any issues. Unfortunately, the only spacers I've seen so far are just for the front to "level" things out as you have noted. That being said, I'm pretty sure you can make JK spacers work.

Thanks Eddie. Good to know on the JK spacers. Do you feel that the factory "ride" would be fairly well maintained using spacers compared to a lift kit?

Shots

It's been my experience that kits like that generally offer minimal (if any) affect on the ride, which is usually their appeal. In some cases you may lose a little shock travel, but I'm not sure if that's true for the Wrangler, since a lot of the kits I've seen offer shock extension brackets. I would assume this is so you keep the stock travel of your shocks. If so I think it should feel the same, or at least very close to it.

Now I'm going to be "that guy" and say the unthinkable. What about waiting until someone releases..... gulp..... a body lift? :eek: Yup, I said it, a body lift.
Seriously though, if you're just looking for an inch to give a little more wheel/fender clearance, without sacrificing comfort, they're great. I've done them by themselves, and in conjunction with suspension lifts. Done right you can't tell it's a body lift. They're usually a lot cheaper than suspension stuff and you still get that 1" of lift.
I know they're one of those things that either you love them or hate them. If you're not one of the ones who hate them, it might be an option for you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. Good to know on the JK spacers. Do you feel that the factory "ride" would be fairly well maintained using spacers compared to a lift kit?

With just a 1" lift, I don't think you'll see any difference in your ride quality. What will effect your ride quality will be the wheels and tires you run with it. Add enough unsprung weight and your factory suspension will have a harder time keeping up with it.

texasbryan

With just a 1" lift, I don't think you'll see any difference in your ride quality. What will effect your ride quality will be the wheels and tires you run with it. Add enough unsprung weight and your factory suspension will have a harder time keeping up with it.

I'm running BFG KO2's so not too big or heavy. Sounds like some 1" spacers might be perfect for me. Thanks again for the info!

texasbryan

It's been my experience that kits like that generally offer minimal (if any) affect on the ride, which is usually their appeal. In some cases you may lose a little shock travel, but I'm not sure if that's true for the Wrangler, since a lot of the kits I've seen offer shock extension brackets. I would assume this is so you keep the stock travel of your shocks. If so I think it should feel the same, or at least very close to it.

Now I'm going to be "that guy" and say the unthinkable. What about waiting until someone releases..... gulp..... a body lift? :eek: Yup, I said it, a body lift.
Seriously though, if you're just looking for an inch to give a little more wheel/fender clearance, without sacrificing comfort, they're great. I've done them by themselves, and in conjunction with suspension lifts. Done right you can't tell it's a body lift. They're usually a lot cheaper than suspension stuff and you still get that 1" of lift.
I know they're one of those things that either you love them or hate them. If you're not one of the ones who hate them, it might be an option for you.

Never thought about that. Interesting idea for sure!

aug0211

Does anyone make a 1 or 1.5" lift for the JL? I have seen some leveling kits but I'm wanting to maintain the factory rake while raising my Rubicon 1 to 1.5 inches. Just enough to make sure I have good clearance with my 35 inch tires.

Would coil spacers typically be the best way to achieve this amount of lift? Any downsides to coil spacers vs new springs, shocks, etc. I appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Thanks!

Check out Traxda. I had contacted them previously and they had agreed to do custom spacers for me. That might be exactly what you want - just 1” or 1.5” pucks for the front and back.

I did not pull the trigger with them yet (REALLY need help deciding on a stubby bumper + winch combo, first)... but they’re on my short list for when I do.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

texasbryan

Check out Traxda. I had contacted them previously and they had agreed to do custom spacers for me. That might be exactly what you want - just 1” or 1.5” pucks for the front and back.

I did not pull the trigger with them yet (REALLY need help deciding on a stubby bumper + winch combo, first)... but they’re on my short list for when I do.

Thank you for the info. I'll give them a call for sure.

aug0211

Thank you for the info. I'll give them a call for sure.

Any chance you’ve made a decision on this one yet? I’m itching to pull the trigger on my bumper and winch so I can turn around and (very) quickly figure out my lift solution. I still can’t get off-road and I’m starting to go crazy with this thing and 37s and nothing but pavement!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

aug0211

Any concerns about shocks? At what point do we need to be sure we take care of shocks either with extensions or different shocks?

For example... Is 1” OK for factory shocks without extensions? 1.5”? 2.0” 2.5”?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any concerns about shocks? At what point do we need to be sure we take care of shocks either with extensions or different shocks?

For example... Is 1” OK for factory shocks without extensions? 1.5”? 2.0” 2.5”?

You'll be fine with just 1" of lift. When you get up into 2" or more, you really should be running at the very least, extensions just so that you can restore your travel. That being said, bigger heavier tires and wheels will make it harder for factory shocks to keep up with them.

texasbryan

Any chance you’ve made a decision on this one yet? I’m itching to pull the trigger on my bumper and winch so I can turn around and (very) quickly figure out my lift solution. I still can’t get off-road and I’m starting to go crazy with this thing and 37s and nothing but pavement!!!!!

No, I haven’t had time to call yet. And I’m really on the fence about lifting an inch with my 35s vs going with 37s and a full lift kit. Something tells me I’ll want to go bigger at some point.

aug0211

No, I haven’t had time to call yet. And I’m really on the fence about lifting an inch with my 35s vs going with 37s and a full lift kit. Something tells me I’ll want to go bigger at some point.

Fair enough!

I should have my winch and bumper tomorrow, just a few other parts to wait on (and free time!) then I can get everything installed and take my final measurements.

texasbryan

So I spoke with Traxda regarding making a custom 1.5 inch front and rear lift. They said that they can make a custom kit this way BUT it could cause some issues with the rear sway bar by raising the rear that extra 1/2 inch. They said it may not be a real problem but they can't guarantee it. I'm not even sure what that means. The last thing I want to do is cause myself issues so I may wait until something is available that will work for sure. Or...I may just need to put a full lift kit on it and switch to 37s! :idontknow:

Eddie, does this make sense to you?

aug0211

So I spoke with Traxda regarding making a custom 1.5 inch front and rear lift. They said that they can make a custom kit this way BUT it could cause some issues with the rear sway bar by raising the rear that extra 1/2 inch. They said it may not be a real problem but they can't guarantee it. I'm not even sure what that means. The last thing I want to do is cause myself issues so I may wait until something is available that will work for sure. Or...I may just need to put a full lift kit on it and switch to 37s! :idontknow:

That doesn’t make sense to me at all. Plenty of people here are running or have run 2.0” or 2.5” spacer lifts, so I’m confused about why 1.5” would be a problem.

Definitely wait for someone who knows a lot more than me though :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, I could see where they might have concerns. Most lift kits come with new and longer rear sway bar links and the factory rear links get installed up front. Failure to do this can cause your links to over extend at a full flex.

texasbryan

Yeah, I could see where they might have concerns. Most lift kits come with new and longer rear sway bar links and the factory rear links get installed up front. Failure to do this can cause your links to over extend at a full flex.

I think that was their concern. Said it may not be an issue but it’s an unknown.

At this point, I am strongly considering the dynatrac lift with 37s.

I currently have KO2s in 35s and will consider the 37 inch version. Also, considering the Ridge Grappler 37s. The BFGs are a little lighter (about 10 pounds) even though both are D rated.

Eddie, do you have any opinion on the BFG vs the Ridge Grappler?

Thanks!