Adding a Solenoid switch to control power to a winch.

Hi - New to the community and to Jeeps!

I have a new JLU Rubicon and I am going to add a winch. I wanted to connect a solenoid switch to one of the auxiliary panel switches to turn the power on to the winch. I didn't want to direct connect it to the battery. Has anyone done this or know of a solenoid that would work with the 12v auxiliary panel switches?

Thanks for the help!

John

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Warn offers their "Power Interrupt Kit". IMO, I don't think a power interrupt is really necessary, and that winch cables directly to the battery is the way to go. I guess if you are afraid somebody's going to spool your cable over the top of your Jeep in an attempt to do some damage...

Warn offers their "Power Interrupt Kit". IMO, I don't think a power interrupt is really necessary, and that winch cables directly to the battery is the way to go. I guess if you are afraid somebody's going to spool your cable over the top of your Jeep in an attempt to do some damage...

I see that now, thanks. It is just what I wanted to do. The relay is what I need. To work with the auxiliary switches it needs to use 12v to turn on and off the power to the winch. Just looking to see if someone has done this. It may be tough to find the right spot for the relay in the engine bay. I have to have a real look at it.
Thanks for the help.

You definitely want the winch power cables connected to the battery.

I called Warn today and they said their Power Interrupt kit will run smoothly for a minute or so before possibly having issues. But they had no problem putting a relay inbetween to control when the power is on at the winch. I found a relay that is 500A cont, 700A peak for around 50bucks. going to give that a go and see what happens. I will keep some tools in the jeep just in case it fails and I need to make a direct connection.