Re-gearing - Swap out Diff Covers?

arcticaaron

I have the 3.6 with a 6spd on 37s. It does pretty well with the 4.10 gearing but really needs new gears. My wife drove the jeep yesterday and said "What's wrong with it, it's a dog." I'll be having a shop install 5.13 gears soon. Should I replace the diff covers with heavier duty ones or just continue to run the stock ones?

It seems like this is a good opportunity to swap out the diff covers, but I don't want to waste money if you guys think the stock ones are just fine. Any advice is appreciated!

arcticaaron

Does anyone even have diff covers for the JL axles yet?

I've seen Dana, AFE, NextVenture, and Motobilt have HD covers out and it made me think that if there are that many already out, maybe it's a common needed upgrade for wheeling? Or is it usually just something fancy that folks like to bolt on to the diff?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen Dana, AFE, NextVenture, and Motobilt have HD covers out and it made me think that if there are that many already out, maybe it's a common needed upgrade for wheeling? Or is it usually just something fancy that folks like to bolt on to the diff?

Aftermarket heavy duty diff covers look cool and are typically cheap and I'd run one just for that but in spite of what some people will try to tell you, they're far from "needed". Some people will tell you that factory diff covers suck because the bottom lip can bend and start to leak after being dragging them over rocks but a simple fix for that is to just grind the bottom edge so that it sits above the base of the diff.

arcticaaron

Aftermarket heavy duty diff covers look cool and are typically cheap and I'd run one just for that but in spite of what some people will try to tell you, they're far from "needed". Some people will tell you that factory diff covers suck because the bottom lip can bend and start to leak after being dragging them over rocks but a simple fix for that is to just grind the bottom edge so that it sits above the base of the diff.

Perfect, that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!

JTCO

Meme King
Pulling the cover and putting a new one on is about a 30 minute job, so really, you can do it at anytime. After regearing, you have to change the oil after 500 miles anyways, so it's not like you're wasting oil if you swap the cover at that time either.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

I concur, but every time I see these Spicer/Dana Advantek covers my fortitude weakens. Then I begin to rationalize... "What the hell, I've never spent money on a Hi-Lift... I guess one (two) semi-frivolous expenditures won't hurt."

diff_covers.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I concur, but every time I see these Spicer/Dana Advantek covers my fortitude weakens. Then I begin to rationalize... "What the hell, I've never spent money on a Hi-Lift... I guess one (two) semi-frivolous expenditures won't hurt."

LOL!! I have to admit, those do look nice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking to do it when I end up putting 37s on. But finishing the jk first. Have considered 35s and keep the 4.10s

I dunno, I'm running 37's on factory 4.10's and unlike the JK before, I feel ZERO need to regear. The all new 8-speed auto really kicks ass and it pushes the 37's just fine. Or, at least in my opinion anyway.

WiscoHR

I dunno, I'm running 37's on factory 4.10's and unlike the JK before, I feel ZERO need to regear. The all new 8-speed auto really kicks ass and it pushes the 37's just fine. Or, at least in my opinion anyway.

I agree, I haven’t found a situation yet that I feel the need for lower gears. It will climb mountain passes without a problem. Acceleration is still there. Yeah I might see 8th gear a little more often, but have put on 3000 miles in the last week and I’m averaging 17 mpg. So I’ll be sticking with the 4.10s.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

I agree. I paid a lot of attention to this issue on my last trip. And I never found an instance where I wanted lower gears.

YOUJLUS

I agree, I haven’t found a situation yet that I feel the need for lower gears. It will climb mountain passes without a problem. Acceleration is still there. Yeah I might see 8th gear a little more often, but have put on 3000 miles in the last week and I’m averaging 17 mpg. So I’ll be sticking with the 4.10s.

Are you running 37s as well? I’m currently getting 17 driving too and from work everyday with stock tires.

YOUJLUS

Do agree the eight speed transmission is great. Was just curious of mpg. Been driving it everyday for work and I average 17 with the 33s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do agree the eight speed transmission is great. Was just curious of mpg. Been driving it everyday for work and I average 17 with the 33s.

Honestly, before you spend a dime on re-gearing, see for yourself just how your MPG does with 37's. Driving out to Moab and back doing 80 MPH, up and over mountains and of course, doing a lot of low range wheeling, I still averaged 14.5 MPG. If I drive more conservatively, I can easily still average about 16 MPG.