2" or 2.5" Coil Lift for Rubicon JLU

RLsJL

I just bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU and would like to have recommendations on the size of suspension lift I should install on it down the road. I plan on replacing the 33" tires for 35" tires and installing either a 2" lift or a 2.5" moderate coil lift with new shocks. This Rubicon will be my daily driver. I'm also beginner off-roader.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most difficult, I will be driving on 1-5 level trails. Of course I'll be starting out on level 1-2 going up from there.

I pulled this trail info off the web.
Level 5 trail surfaces are rutted, rocky and sandy with steps not exceeding 24”, with considerable slickrock surfaces. Water not exceeding 12” with some mud possible. Good ground clearance and driving skills are needed. 4WD, tall tires (33” plus) and traction adding devices (locker, limited slip) are required. Above average driving skills are desirable. A winch would be a plus. Enhanced suspension travel and good ground clearance are also required.

So, should I install a 2" lift or a 2.5" coil lift. Also, what brands/models of suspension lifts are recommended?

Thanks for your input.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I was you based on that info, I would look at the Rancho 2” suspension. It’s a great kit that you can add to down the road, or not too expensive if you decide to go bigger down the road.

Yup, I'd had to agree with this ^^^^

If you can afford more and plan on staying with 35's for the long term, I might recommend the Dynatrac EnduroSport kit instead.

drhcobra

RLsJL,
I'll be interested to hear which way you go with this. I like the idea of the EnduroSport lift and 35's, but I'd like to see that on a rubicon. Maybe someone will be able to do that by the time I get mine.

drhcobra

Yup, I'd had to agree with this ^^^^

If you can afford more and plan on staying with 35's for the long term, I might recommend the Dynatrac EnduroSport kit instead.

Not to hijack the thread, but...

If you did go with the Dynatrac kit and 35's on stock rims now, would you stay with it if you were to switch to 37's later? I did catch your review and I see on their website they say 35 or 37 on the rubicon.

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not to hijack the thread, but...

If you did go with the Dynatrac kit and 35's on stock rims now, would you stay with it if you were to switch to 37's later? I did catch your review and I see on their website they say 35 or 37 on the rubicon.

Thanks

Factory wheels have 6.25" of back spacing and while you can make it work with bigger tires, I personally would recommend you run a set of wheel spacers like these:

https://amzn.to/2LLFdvW

You can run 37's on a Rubicon but you will have some rubbing of the fenders at a full flex. Not really a big deal to me but it is something you should be aware of.

drhcobra

Factory wheels have 6.25" of back spacing and while you can make it work with bigger tires, I personally would recommend you run a set of wheel spacers like these:

https://amzn.to/2LLFdvW

You can run 37's on a Rubicon but you will have some rubbing of the fenders at a full flex. Not really a big deal to me but it is something you should be aware of.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

DesertsJL

I just bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU and would like to have recommendations on the size of suspension lift I should install on it down the road. I plan on replacing the 33" tires for 35" tires and installing either a 2" lift or a 2.5" moderate coil lift with new shocks. This Rubicon will be my daily driver. I'm also beginner off-roader.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most difficult, I will be driving on 1-5 level trails. Of course I'll be starting out on level 1-2 going up from there.

I pulled this trail info off the web.
Level 5 trail surfaces are rutted, rocky and sandy with steps not exceeding 24”, with considerable slickrock surfaces. Water not exceeding 12” with some mud possible. Good ground clearance and driving skills are needed. 4WD, tall tires (33” plus) and traction adding devices (locker, limited slip) are required. Above average driving skills are desirable. A winch would be a plus. Enhanced suspension travel and good ground clearance are also required.

So, should I install a 2" lift or a 2.5" coil lift. Also, what brands/models of suspension lifts are recommended?

Thanks for your input.

Starting on 1-2 trails and going from there? My suggestion is to stay stock. Add the 35” tires and see how you do. If you need to add a lift later, then great. But on a Rubicon the 35’s fit great without a lift.

BillArnett

Starting on 1-2 trails and going from there? My suggestion is to stay stock. Add the 35” tires and see how you do. If you need to add a lift later, then great. But on a Rubicon the 35’s fit great without a lift.

I agree. Far more important than any mods you might make is your driving skill. A bone-stock Wrangler is an incredibly capable vehicle; on your scale of 1-10 something like a 5 is no problem at all IF you know what you're doing. It will take you a while to learn enough to exploit all its capabilities. THEN you can think about moving on to harder stuff.

Of course, if doing the mods is itself part of the fun for you then go for it!

jweigel

Which adds more lift

Between the Rancho and the Dynosport....which ends up being taller or adding more height over the stock setup...

jjw
ND

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Between the Rancho and the Dynosport....which ends up being taller or adding more height over the stock setup...

jjw
ND

I assume you meant to say Dynatrac. That being said, both offer about the same amount of lift over stock.