BLACKED OUT JL Wrangler Pinch Seams

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If there's a down side to running aftermarket rocker guards like the brand new LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders we just installed on our JL Wrangler, it'd be the fact that the pinch seams are totally exposed and kinda look... well, unsightly or at least, to me anyway. They just look so unfinished on an otherwise clean looking Jeep and I could never understand why Jeep doesn't make any effort to clean things up a bit here especially for people who own Sports or Saharas without side steps. Anyway, I've always made a point to black out the pinch seams on my JK's and so made sure to do the same on our JL. In the past, I literally just painted them black but this time around, I decided to use black vinyl instead. Here are a few shots of what they looked like before and after.

BEFORE
20180816120523-c0b7b128-me.jpg

AFTER
20180818141929-68a2e3d8-me.jpg

BEFORE
20180816120536-72ab1703-me.jpg

AFTER
20180818141935-217307db-me.jpg

Here's a close up shot of what it looks like.
20180819213531-56b5ff5a-me.jpg

Anyway, just thought I'd share what the JL Wrangler pinch seams look like blacked out. To me, it makes a big difference in how they look especially if you don't have Rubicon rock sliders installed. :cool:

Deezus

If there's a down side to running aftermarket rocker guards like the brand new LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders we just installed on our JL Wrangler, it'd be the fact that the pinch seams are totally exposed and kinda look... well, unsightly or at least, to me anyway. They just look so unfinished on an otherwise clean looking Jeep and I could never understand why Jeep doesn't make any effort to clean things up a bit here especially for people who own Sports or Saharas without side steps. Anyway, I've always made a point to black out the pinch seams on my JK's and so made sure to do the same on our JL. In the past, I literally just painted them black but this time around, I decided to use black vinyl instead. Here are a few shots of what they looked like before and after.

Anyway, just thought I'd share what the JL Wrangler pinch seams look like blacked out. To me, it makes a big difference in how they look especially if you don't have Rubicon rock sliders installed. :cool:
That is definitely way better.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
:thumb: That came out great. Exactly what I did to my JK, that and painted rear wheel wells after the liner was removed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is definitely way better.

Looks very nice.

that looks a lot better. :thumb:

Thanks! I think it came out great too :yup:

:thumb: That came out great. Exactly what I did to my JK, that and painted rear wheel wells after the liner was removed.

Yup, we did the same on our JK's and in the fenders as well. Black them out and they look so much better. :yup:

My JK rears were painted too very inexpensive mod. The JLs will need liners.

Yeah, at least in the rear or I should say, the passenger side rear being that the EVAP is located in the back corner.

Supercharged

This was why unasked if the stock rails could be left on with the LOD rails. This is a great alternative.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This was why unasked if the stock rails could be left on with the LOD rails. This is a great alternative.

BETTER alternative or at least in my opinion. Never been a fan of rocker sliders that retained the Rubicon rocker guards if only because they look so weird or at least to me anyway. This offers a much cleaner and deliberate look and while freeing up your Jeep of unneeded dead weight. :yup:

JrBiem

Looks fantastic! Just ordered up a set of these sliders this morning...and was planning the black out too. Any chance the video will be up soon? :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

I did that exact thing on my JKUR, also the pinchseam under the rear tailgate...it's amazing how much cleaner it looks with them blacked out. I was going to suggest it to you but you beat me to it. I personally used plastidip, as I like the added corrosion protection, but what you did looks great as well.

Check it out Eddie...in case you want to give the rear seam a try.....I think it cleans up the lines...maybe try it with plastidip so if you don't like it you can remove it....not apples to apples but you get the idea.....

10CD627E-6F1E-4FFD-846A-02546CF9DFBA_zpsgylctnzu.jpg

Dont mind the white stuff....it's just snow (note to self, plastidip and any other vynil style stuff sucks in the cold. If you want the best smoothness, warm the can in some warm water before use.)

87ECD926-9AD1-4C9F-9BCF-4F6487EC1848_zpsao045sa0.jpg

263547AE-410B-4D68-AB41-4AFC17E51E49_zpsmyuluy7n.jpg

35A1399E-DF87-4219-BE4B-1300A148BC61_zpsstgfi96e.jpg

C689C5BE-92DE-4E2B-89F7-0DB978706B12_zpsgshf5bsq.jpg

Last edited:

Deezus

Thanks! I think it came out great too :yup:

Yup, we did the same on our JK's and in the fenders as well. Black them out and they look so much better. :yup:

Yeah, at least in the rear or I should say, the passenger side rear being that the EVAP is located in the back corner.
I'll do the inner liners when I decide on to coilover or not to coilover next year. It's funny that underneath the jeep is so open with lots of room....say for a battery in the future...
;-)

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

BillArnett

Wow, that’s a huge improvement, Eddie!

But as my Jeep is “Granite” I’m thinking all I’ll need to do is plug the holes in the seam with something black.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am so glad you made these seems black!!!! What are you planning for the rear where you removed the bumper? The body corners look extremely strange to me

Initially, I was thinking about doing the same but after removing our rear bumper, the look kind of grew on me. Who knows, I may still try it just to see being that it's pretty easy to do.

Wow, that’s a huge improvement, Eddie!

But as my Jeep is “Granite” I’m thinking all I’ll need to do is plug the holes in the seam with something black.

Oh yeah, the pinch seam thing is just a light color Jeep thing. If I had a dark color JL, I wouldn't even give it a thought.

Looks great. That's the main reason. I have been hesitant to go with aftermarket, that seam being exposed drives me crazy. This looks really good and cleans it up though, nice work.

Thanks. There's always a way to make things work. Aftermarket is the way to go. :yup: