What a JL Without a Muffler Sounds Like

Dynatrac

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter
We know a lot of people like to upgrade the muffler on a Jeep Wrangler to get a performance sound. When we built CODE1, we cut the muffler off during the disassembly of the vehicle. We intended to put a performance muffler on the vehicle (and still may), but it actually sounded pretty good to us with no muffler at all.

Shots

Depending on the volume, you may get pulled over.
If you have state inspections, it likely won't pass without some sort of muffler.
You may get drone at certain RPM ranges.
Possible loss of torque/hp at certain RPM ranges, though this could also go the other way and show gains. It depends on the engine/make/model/computer/etc.

Aside from those 3, or possibly 4 things, it's just a matter of preference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno. Having heard this for myself and in person, I can't say that I was really digging the sound. I'm sure it's just me but it made me all the more reluctant to getting rid of the factory muffler but again, I'm sure it's just me.

aug0211

Thanks guys. I definitely don’t want the ricey sound. I just want an understated, low rumble. But I also understand that may not be realistic with the 4 banger :)

How hard is this to take off and put back on? I’m wondering if it’s worth a trial run for me (and I could share some audio for others with the Turbo, if they’re interested).

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I definitely don’t want the ricey sound. I just want an understated, low rumble. But I also understand that may not be realistic with the 4 banger :)

How hard is this to take off and put back on? I’m wondering if it’s worth a trial run for me (and I could share some audio for others with the Turbo, if they’re interested).

It definitely does NOT have a "low rumble" and to me, sounds closer to ricey than anything. Of course, that's just how it sounds to me.

Shots

I'm with you wayolife. I'm not digging it either, but that may just be the old guy talking. To me, it sounds like an old rusted out exhaust with a leak, but that's purely opinion. I wasn't going to mention it, because I don't want to discourage someone who likes the way it sounds. You do you. It's your Jeep if you like the sound, go for it.

To those who are considering it. I haven't taken the exhaust of a JL, but if it's anything like the many various exhausts I've worked on, it's not hard. It's actually a good place to start to learn, because you can't really hurt anything. They can be a bit annoying at times, because it's usually dirty, and when you're trying to seal up an exhaust (not removing the muffler) you may be checking all the joints for leaks. For this project thought, that's not an issue.
To give a general idea without looking at the JL specifically.
  • Locate the band clamp(s) upstream of the muffler, and loosen them.
  • Put a support under the muffler to hold the weight (a floor jack works well).
  • Find the exhaust hangers that support the muffler and tailpipe. Shoot a little WD40 on the hangers and rubber isolaters and pull them off.
  • Lower the muffler while pulling the pipe out of the joint.

For this project you're done. 4 basic steps. If anyone needs better instructions, let me know and I'll crawl under my Jeep and find the hangers, and clamps. I won't take my muffler off, but I can point out what you need to do yours.

aug0211

I'm with you wayolife. I'm not digging it either, but that may just be the old guy talking. To me, it sounds like an old rusted out exhaust with a leak, but that's purely opinion. I wasn't going to mention it, because I don't want to discourage someone who likes the way it sounds. You do you. It's your Jeep if you like the sound, go for it.

To those who are considering it. I haven't taken the exhaust of a JL, but if it's anything like the many various exhausts I've worked on, it's not hard. It's actually a good place to start to learn, because you can't really hurt anything. They can be a bit annoying at times, because it's usually dirty, and when you're trying to seal up an exhaust (not removing the muffler) you may be checking all the joints for leaks. For this project thought, that's not an issue.
To give a general idea without looking at the JL specifically.
  • Locate the band clamp(s) upstream of the muffler, and loosen them.
  • Put a support under the muffler to hold the weight (a floor jack works well).
  • Find the exhaust hangers that support the muffler and tailpipe. Shoot a little WD40 on the hangers and rubber isolaters and pull them off.
  • Lower the muffler while pulling the pipe out of the joint.

For this project you're done. 4 basic steps. If anyone needs better instructions, let me know and I'll crawl under my Jeep and find the hangers, and clamps. I won't take my muffler off, but I can point out what you need to do yours.

Awesome response. Thank you!

I thought it was a bit much for me when opening the throttle... but loved it at idle in the video.

I’m pretty curious about how the 4 would sound, but also nervous that it’ll sound horrible.

I have a few other things on my list ahead of this but may try to take it on if I have downtime on a weekend coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app