Loose tie rod ends

Jesse_01

I was working under my Jeep. Grabbed the tie rod to pull my selfs out from underneath & it clunked. I grabbed a wrench & threw it on the tie rod end. I got 2 turns before it tightened up & then torqued to 75ft/lbs.

When dry steering with 37" tires you can see the drag link flex & feel steering box shaft play.

Anyone else noticed this? Only 3800miles on the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying the tie-rod rotated at the adjuster - as in, the nut was loose or that the whole thing rotated at the tie-rod ends. If the later, rotational movement is totally normal. Shifting sided to side or up and down is not.

Regarding the drag link, are you sure it's flexing or does it just kinda look like it. Got video of it?

Jesse_01

On the tie rod ends it was front to back of the vehicle & up & down.

The flexing in the drag link was where it bows out on the passenger side.

I can see if I can get video of it. I was going to take it in this week for the steering box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On the tie rod ends it was front to back of the vehicle & up & down.

The flexing in the drag link was where it bows out on the passenger side.

I can see if I can get video of it. I was going to take it in this week for the steering box.

Wow, that sucks about the tie-rod, I can't say that I've seen anything like that on my JL.

The drag link on the JL seems way beefier than what came on the JK and can't imagine it bending the way you're saying but I may have to give it another look.

NFRs2000NYC

Seems like lots of brand new showroom Jeeps are coming with finger tight ball joints as well. There should be a checklist for new owners to go over when they pick the jeep up, so they can have the dealer handle the issues. That statement is pretty ridiculous though. I know first model year vehicles have growing pains, but jeez, some of the stuff they have released from that plant is just inexcusable.

Jesse_01

Seems like lots of brand new showroom Jeeps are coming with finger tight ball joints as well. There should be a checklist for new owners to go over when they pick the jeep up, so they can have the dealer handle the issues. That statement is pretty ridiculous though. I know first model year vehicles have growing pains, but jeez, some of the stuff they have released from that plant is just inexcusable.

Yeah almost. A new owner checklist sticky would be handy. I know I checked for loose fuses already. Some moved in a bit, but most of them were tight.

Jesse_01

Wow, that sucks about the tie-rod, I can't say that I've seen anything like that on my JL.

The drag link on the JL seems way beefier than what came on the JK and can't imagine it bending the way you're saying but I may have to give it another look.

We have never had a new Jeep so I don't have much to compare. My TJ has Currie steering, so it's tough to use that for comparison. It also drive straight as an arrow at high speed with 37s.

Besides that all of my vehicles have been 1 ton pickups.