Ever heard of the Trans-America Trail?

On a prominent car site there’s a guy who got Jeep to loan him a JL rubicon to drive the trans-America trail for a couple of months. He just started last week. What’s the trans-America trail? It’s an off pavement route that goes from the outer banks in NC to the Oregon dunes on the pacific or NYC to LA. Some adventure bike overland types have been plotting it since the 90s. They have maps and gps cards. I’m totally fascinated. I’m from NC and it looks like I could do my state in 3 days. It sounds incredible so I’m wondering who else may have herd of it, has a buddy who did it, etc? I was thinking of doing a Jeep adventure in the outer banks this fall, but now I want to get brazen.

On a prominent car site there’s a guy who got Jeep to loan him a JL rubicon to drive the trans-America trail for a couple of months. He just started last week. What’s the trans-America trail? It’s an off pavement route that goes from the outer banks in NC to the Oregon dunes on the pacific or NYC to LA. Some adventure bike overland types have been plotting it since the 90s. They have maps and gps cards. I’m totally fascinated. I’m from NC and it looks like I could do my state in 3 days. It sounds incredible so I’m wondering who else may have herd of it, has a buddy who did it, etc? I was thinking of doing a Jeep adventure in the outer banks this fall, but now I want to get brazen.

Do you have a link? I'd love to follow that guy's progress. I've heard of the trail, and have seen some videos of part of it. It sounds like someone just tied together different dirt roads and trails across the country and gave them a name, and now it is getting some noteriety, as overlanding has become popular. I'm curious as to how long it has been a thing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve heard of the trail before, but not sure it’s much of a trail on the east coast. Most of it is road miles. I don’t think it’s possible to do the whole trip on dirt.

I've tried from Missouri to California along the old Emigrant Trail and it's impossible to do it ALL on dirt even in the west.

Speshll K

Heck Ya! I started reading about it last year and have found numerous forums with great reads and some video bloggers running it. Bucket list item for sure. I know it won't be all unpaved roads but man it would still be a cool adventure!!

Bolts59

I came across the Outside Online article today and found some info on this trail. It goes from TN to SW Oregon. I linked the article below and the website for the trail.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2016916/7-bucket-list-overland-trails-us

https://www.transamtrail.com/