JL Wrangler and JK Wrangler compatibility

JAGS

Haven't really seen a thread to address this specifically. Right now we can use this to share ideas, rumors or whatever.

Once more of the JL wrangler gets confirmed I think a lot of folks will want to know what, if anything, will be compatible. Out of the box or with a few mods.

Here's my start to the conversation.... do you guys think/hope the axles will be compatible between the JK and the JL wrangler? I've read rumors the JL front might be a bit stronger than the JK front (rubicon model).

Anything else you guys are wondering about?

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I wonder if there will be any additional electronic stuff that would hinder that direct axle swap. I guess it would be unlikely, but who knows?

I know a big issue will be programming for gear ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From the look of the spy shots we've seen so far, a lot of the suspension looks similar to the JK but they may not be the same enough that you could just throw on a JK suspension lift kit. Maybe the coils but depending on the weight of the JL, they may not give you what you're wanting. As far as axles go, a lot will depend on whether or not the JL uses the same bracket setup. If not, I'm sure companies like Dynatrac already have new ones made for it. The only other real issue you might have are things like width and as you've pointed out, the electronics on it. It is possible that the JL will be wider and if so, JK width axles won't work but something like a ProRock 60 which is a full width axle anyway would be no problem. More than likely, the speed sensors will be different on the JL and that would be something that you couldn't just swap over but might be something as easy as replacing the unit bearings. Also, on Rubicon models, the wiring for the lockers may be different as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I was told from my friend who is the top engineer over at Jeep, if you hate all the computers and electronics in the JK, it's gonna be worse in the JL. Not by his choice mind you but it is what it is.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
From the look of the spy shots we've seen so far, a lot of the suspension looks similar to the JK but they may not be the same enough that you could just throw on a JK suspension lift kit. Maybe the coils but depending on the weight of the JL, they may not give you what you're wanting. As far as axles go, a lot will depend on whether or not the JL uses the same bracket setup. If not, I'm sure companies like Dynatrac already have new ones made for it. The only other real issue you might have are things like width and as you've pointed out, the electronics on it. It is possible that the JL will be wider and if so, JK width axles won't work but something like a ProRock 60 which is a full width axle anyway would be no problem. More than likely, the speed sensors will be different on the JL and that would be something that you couldn't just swap over but might be something as easy as replacing the unit bearings. Also, on Rubicon models, the wiring for the lockers may be different as well.

If it has an automatic transmission with more gears, it would have to be heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JAGS

Part of me was hoping I could throw the JL front into the JK, but the feedback makes sense why that might be a little difficult.

NFRs2000NYC

According to TFL's latest video on the wrangler......again, don't have their source to back it up, the JL is 9" longer and 4" wider than the JK.....now, Im not sure if that just includes new fender flares and a longer hood/spare tire mount, but if ANY of that extra meat is structural, I don't see how ANY JK part will work on the JL, not the bumpers, carriers, axles, exhausts, etc.