Rear Bumper Sensor Removal

NCRUBI2012

Hello from NC. Getting around to adding bumpers and want to know if anyone has removed rear with sensors and not replaced. I want to run no bumper as I did with my JK. Will sensor omit throw off any dash lights or create any other issues? TIA.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure it will. I believe that Z Automotive is working on an update for the Tazer JL that will turn that off though.

BillArnett

I removed my stock plastic rear bumper yesterday. The bumper itself came off easily enough pretty much like Eddie’s video of his steel one. But I have the parking sensors and I’ve ordered the LoD bumper with their parking sensor kit. So I had to remove the sensors from my old bumper. That was a PITA. The plastic bumper is actually composed of several pieces. There’s a smallish steel piece that comes off first and easily. Then there are 28 (!!) little 7mm screws holding the two main plastic parts together. But taking off 28 screws isn’t good enough. You also have to remove the end pieces on each end of the bumper which are held on with three white plastic clips (in addition to some of the 28 screws):

7E308385-7347-439A-9FFA-6779C6F9F7C2.jpg

With the two ends off you can then remove 4 more 7mm screws that were hidden behind the end pieces which will finally allow you to separate the two main bumper halves. But then it hangs up on the wiring harness. So you have to remove the connectors to the four parking sensors and the one for the license plate light. And those connectors are a bitch, especially if like mine, they’re covered with mud. Once it’s all separated the wiring harness is held in place with about a dozen “Christmas Tree” doohickies.

Removing the parking sensors themselves wasn’t too hard just separate the clips holding them and pull straight out. I’m not sure if they’re all identical so I was careful to note which one is which and which orientation it was in so I can install them the same way in the new bumper.

Now waiting for my LoD package to arrive....

13_gecko_rubi

I removed my stock plastic rear bumper yesterday. The bumper itself came off easily enough pretty much like Eddie’s video of his steel one. But I have the parking sensors and I’ve ordered the LoD bumper with their parking sensor kit. So I had to remove the sensors from my old bumper. That was a PITA. The plastic bumper is actually composed of several pieces. There’s a smallish steel piece that comes off first and easily. Then there are 28 (!!) little 7mm screws holding the two main plastic parts together. But taking off 28 screws isn’t good enough. You also have to remove the end pieces on each end of the bumper which are held on with three white plastic clips (in addition to some of the 28 screws):

View attachment 4494

With the two ends off you can then remove 4 more 7mm screws that were hidden behind the end pieces which will finally allow you to separate the two main bumper halves. But then it hangs up on the wiring harness. So you have to remove the connectors to the four parking sensors and the one for the license plate light. And those connectors are a bitch, especially if like mine, they’re covered with mud. Once it’s all separated the wiring harness is held in place with about a dozen “Christmas Tree” doohickies.

Removing the parking sensors themselves wasn’t too hard just separate the clips holding them and pull straight out. I’m not sure if they’re all identical so I was careful to note which one is which and which orientation it was in so I can install them the same way in the new bumper.

Now waiting for my LoD package to arrive....
Lol. Plastic bumpers to save weight. 50 fastners to gain it all back. If u have a Rubicon or Sahara and want a kick sometime take off grill and look at back of it. There are doZens of clips holding it all together.

Sent via....