Metalcloak lift - Game Changer??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They're a relatively new company with interesting ideas and some of which are pretty good and are really good at marketing. Their 6-pak shocks are gimmicky at best, have a history of leaking at worst and really, for the cost, you really should be looking at coil overs. Their tie-rods have been known to bend and their control arms too. Their joints are nice but I still prefer tried and true Johnny Joints.

JTCO

Meme King
Chipotle is a game-changer for your underwear too. I hope Metalcloak isn't using the same funky shocks that they did on the JK.

JKJKJKJLJL

They're a relatively new company with interesting ideas and some of which are pretty good and are really good at marketing. Their 6-pak shocks are gimmicky at best, have a history of leaking at worst and really, for the cost, you really should be looking at coil overs. Their tie-rods have been known to bend and their control arms too. Their joints are nice but I still prefer tried and true Johnny Joints.

Good to know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Tank_Chris

I ran their control arms/springs on a few of my JK's. The springs were a little stiff, but I loved their control arm bushings.

Explosively

Is Metalcloak really that new? When I decided to go with them for my TJ's track bar they seemed pretty well established.

haddixj

I pre ordered their 3.5" kit and should get my Jeep in a month or so. I will respond to posts about my experience with them as I see them pop up. Metal Cloak is localish to me and I have heard good things about them so I wanted to give them a shot.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Supposedly been around since 2006. I'm not sure if that means anything.:idontknow:

LOL!! Not exactly. They used to be owned by a company called Rev 111. Back then, all the made were fenders and rocker guards. They eventually went out of business and then was taken over by the new owner. The suspension stuff is all relatively new.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I pre ordered their 3.5" kit and should get my Jeep in a month or so. I will respond to posts about my experience with them as I see them pop up. Metal Cloak is localish to me and I have heard good things about them so I wanted to give them a shot.

Lift companies always get local support. Plus, they’re really good at marketing. I don’t meet too many guys who ever talk smack about something they’ve chosen to buy. That would amount to admitting they made a mistake. That being said, I’m gonna bet you’ll be happy with what you get.

haddixj

Yea, time will tell. I have never actually bought a lift kit before, I have always been building something and piecing it together. I hope to get to the Rubicon this summer with the lift and 37's if it doesn't work I will get rid of it and start over. Does anyone know the pricing on EVO's long arm kit with the coilovers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, time will tell. I have never actually bought a lift kit before, I have always been building something and piecing it together. I hope to get to the Rubicon this summer with the lift and 37's if it doesn't work I will get rid of it and start over. Does anyone know the pricing on EVO's long arm kit with the coilovers?

LOL!! Honestly, unless you have something to compare things to, I can almost guarantee you that you'll think what you're getting is good if not great. Regarding pricing on EVO stuff, I have a feeling it'll come in at about the same as their JK stuff. Pretty pricey for sure but a HUGE improvement over 6-pak shocks.

Rellik

I ran a full game changer on my JKUR. I liked the control arms. I did not like the six packs as I was constantly refilling with nitrogen. So many times I had to purchase my own zero loss filling system to keep them topped off. I did not like the sag I got from the dual rate springs and I really hated how the tie rod would bend by just yelling at it a little. I have gone to full coilovers on that jeep but i still run the MC control arms.

Attachments

• pinyon.jpg
    pinyon.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 230

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ran a full game changer on my JKUR. I liked the control arms. I did not like the six packs as I was constantly refilling with nitrogen. So many times I had to purchase my own zero loss filling system to keep them topped off. I did not like the sag I got from the dual rate springs and I really hated how the tie rod would bend by just yelling at it a little. I have gone to full coilovers on that jeep but i still run the MC control arms.

That's a pretty honest and accurate review. I've seen the bushing blow and control arms bend as well but then, that was a while ago and so maybe they've since got that fixed.

Rellik

That jeep did the Rubicon trail last September with the MC arms. I know its not the hardest trail around but the arms performed well... The tie rod is an entire different story

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That jeep did the Rubicon trail last September with the MC arms. I know its not the hardest trail around but the arms performed well... The tie rod is an entire different story

Oh yeah, there's a meme about it.

attachment.php

Regarding control arms, one trail won't blow out bushings. As far as bending them goes, some times it just takes the right hit.

MC-Bent-Arm.jpg

To be fair though, I've bent arms from other manufacturers too.

Of course, there were the joint end that were breaking at the welds but I haven't seen that in a while.

mc-01.jpg

Rellik

Holy Crap.. I have always wondered why you were not a fan of MC stuff. Now seeing your pics all I can say is Damn! but you tend to run trails like Devils Canyon, Rubicon, Moab, Dusy Ershim. not that I am making an excuse for poor workmanship or materials