Would Jeep becoming Chinese made affect your purchase?

Jwalt

Read an article today (8/21/17 New York Times) that the Great Wall Motor company of China has expressed interest in purchasing Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. FCA has said that this has just started and it would be a long road to an agreement. If the sale were to go through would it change your desire or willingness to purchase the Jeep JL (currently Italian owned)?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Read an article today (8/21/17 New York Times) that the Great Wall Motor company of China has expressed interest in purchasing Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. FCA has said that this has just started and it would be a long road to an agreement. If the sale were to go through would it change your desire or willingness to purchase the Jeep JL (currently Italian owned)?

Yeah, this is the real deal and enough so that FCA stocks were up because of it. What would make it harder for me to want to buy a Jeep in the future is if manufacturing was moved to China. Daimler and Fiat did well to keep and expand the production of Jeep here in the U.S. but I don't know if China would be as willing.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yeah, this is the real deal and enough so that FCA stocks were up because of it. What would make it harder for me to want to buy a Jeep in the future is if manufacturing was moved to China. Daimler and Fiat did well to keep and expand the production of Jeep here in the U.S. but I don't know if China would be as willing.

Damn. The U.S. is slowly losing its lead in everything.

Dave_b

Spicy Jeep Roll?

Absolutely! I'm disturbed enough by the thought of it that I may not go ahead with a planned JL PURCHASE. JEEP...RIP

benatc1

As long as it's still made in America I'm fine with it- maybe even if it isn't idk lol. I suppose tho even if the sale happened and manufacturing moved to china there would be plenty of JLs still made here in the us by the time all that went down

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IF this happens, I highly doubt that the JL will be effected or moved to China or at least, in the foreseeable future. It just wouldn't make sense. It's future vehicles that could be effected.

JAGS

The owner doesn't matter. What matters are the teams in R&D and design. Honda is a good example. Tons of vehicles built in the US and its North American headquarters is in Torrance/Carson.

jeepfreak

It would absolutely affect my purchase. I buy American whenever possible and what’s more American than a Jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longarmwj

I'd still buy one. Like it was said earlier Jeep isn't American owned anymore anyway so what difference does it make? As long as they still turn out a quality product I'm willing to spend money on it.

SterlingC

This would probably be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I think I'd jump ship and not buy Jeeps any more. We'll see what happens though.