37" tire peeps with factory rubi geras

JEEP-N-TEE

I have a two door rubi with 4:10 gears and was wieghing my options between 35 & 37" tires. Of coarse i want 37s but its a daily driver and i plan on driving distances for vaca etc. I have a 2007 4door jk w/35' tires and in my opinion, its under powered. I dont want that along with the possible break down and wear on parts. Im also wondering if wheel size plays a part as well. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance. P.s. Im waiting on the dynatrac lift to be released later this month after the great review that was given.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a two door rubi with 4:10 gears and was wieghing my options between 35 & 37" tires. Of coarse i want 37s but its a daily driver and i plan on driving distances for vaca etc. I have a 2007 4door jk w/35' tires and in my opinion, its under powered. I dont want that along with the possible break down and wear on parts. Im also wondering if wheel size plays a part as well. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance. P.s. Im waiting on the dynatrac lift to be released later this month after the great review that was given.

Unlike the JK before, the JL with it's all new 8-speed automatic transmission will do a great job of pushing 37's WITHOUT the need to regear. Trust me, I've owned 4 JK's and have run 37's or bigger on all of them. I know what power loss you're referring to and had regeared all of them over the years. I am now running 37's on my JLUR and with factory 4.10s and feel no need to regear.

darrenroos

Unlike the JK before, the JL with it's all new 8-speed automatic transmission will do a great job of pushing 37's WITHOUT the need to regear. Trust me, I've owned 4 JK's and have run 37's or bigger on all of them. I know what power loss you're referring to and had regeared all of them over the years. I am now running 37's on my JLUR and with factory 4.10s and feel no need to regear.

Speaking of JKs, I am in the process of regearing mine (2010 JKU Auto) to go from 35s to 37s. My thought was to go to 4.88 but the shop is telling me I should do 5.13. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of JKs, I am in the process of regearing mine (2010 JKU Auto) to go from 35s to 37s. My thought was to go to 4.88 but the shop is telling me I should do 5.13. Thoughts?

5.13 is the right ratio to go with 37's on a JK. The only reason you may not want to is if you've got a Dana 30 front axle. In that case, your pinion will be very small and I might recommend 4.88 just for strength reasons. If you don't play hard with it, you can get by with 5.13's in a 30.

BillArnett

I agree. See

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?1614-New-Dana-Gears&p=22019&viewfull=1#post22019

Drive it for a while with your 37s and the stock gears and see how you like it before spending the big bucks for regearing.

BillEngland

I couldn't really feel a difference between the 33s and 37s. Until I looked at my gear reference and I rarely see 8th. As a daily driver I wouldn't regear but I think I will in a little while. A friend of mine told ld me and I believe it, his saying goes
DON'T FEAR THE GEAR

:thumb:

The lower gears in the trans are ok with the taller tires but overdrive ain't happy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't really feel a difference between the 33s and 37s. Until I looked at my gear reference and I rarely see 8th. As a daily driver I wouldn't regear but I think I will in a little while. A friend of mine told ld me and I believe it, his saying goes
DON'T FEAR THE GEAR

The lower gears in the trans are ok with the taller tires but overdrive ain't happy.

LOL!! I hardly think fear is an issue here, there simply isn't a need. So 8th gear is rarely used - bid deal! Not like I still don't have power, not like I still don't get decent MPG and not like I've had to spend $1500-$2000 to pay for a regear to get it.

aug0211

DON'T FEAR THE GEAR

Slightly off topic question - but where can I see the current gear I’m in? It’s driving me crazy (both on my JLUR and my wife’s new Cherokee). All I see is “D” unless I switch to the “manual” shifting mode.

Is there something I need to turn on somewhere that I’m just not seeing? Or are you always pulling your shifter to the left to check your gear, then pushing it back to the right again?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly off topic question - but where can I see the current gear I’m in? It’s driving me crazy (both on my JLUR and my wife’s new Cherokee). All I see is “D” unless I switch to the “manual” shifting mode.

Is there something I need to turn on somewhere that I’m just not seeing? Or are you always pulling your shifter to the left to check your gear, then pushing it back to the right again?

This video will help you out :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
OMG THERE ARE Q&A VIDEOS???

How did I miss these!?!?!? YES! New fun for me tonight [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Thank you. Your content is great!

LOL!! We actually don't have too many of them. We just made this one because there were a lot of questions early on that we were getting and so we tried addressing them. Hope you find it useful.