Best 3rd party 37” rear tire carrier?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking for a swing out tire carrier, the one from ROAM is about the only one I've seen that looks good. Not too many other options available as of yet but then, neither is the ROAM one. By SEMA there should be a lot more to choose from. Otherwise, the factory tailgate is still holding up fine for us and then there's the MOPAR kit.

mrosamilia

@way of life Did you reinforce your tailgate? I just installed my 35's an hour ago and can feel the weight when I open the tailgate. I need to lift up slightly to close it correctly. Tire just touches back bumper. Stock wheels.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
@way of life Did you reinforce your tailgate? I just installed my 35's an hour ago and can feel the weight when I open the tailgate. I need to lift up slightly to close it correctly. Tire just touches back bumper. Stock wheels.

Nope. I had planned on it and using the Mopar kit but at the time, it was back ordered and I didn't get it until well after I got back from Moab. Been running without any reinforcement for almost 6 months now and without any problems. Sure, the weight is there and I can feel it too but so long as you make sure to mitigate jiggling, you should be good to go. At least, it's been working for me so far.

mrosamilia

Nope. I had planned on it and using the Mopar kit but at the time, it was back ordered and I didn't get it until well after I got back from Moab. Been running without any reinforcement for almost 6 months now and without any problems. Sure, the weight is there and I can feel it too but so long as you make sure to mitigate jiggling, you should be good to go. At least, it's been working for me so far.

Great thank you sir.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Damn, that looks great. I really love the look of the stock JLR wheels. In fact, I think the JLS Wheels look pretty groovy as well.

20180813_160017.jpg

wibornz

I am ordering the Roam rear bumper/tire carrier when they offer it for sale. I contacted them yesterday and they are not ready for sale yet.

wibornz

It should be mid December when they are ready to be shipped. So maybe by the first part of January I will have it on and will provide you with some feedback. I do have their front bumper and side armor steps on. I really like what I have bought from them so far.

wwood

For whatever its worth, we have the Mopar kit and really love it.

The Mopar kit is 2 parts: the reinforcement kit (Mopar Part #: 82215356AB) and the oversizer tire kit (Mopar Part #: 82215355). I got both kits off Amazon for $710, most places have higher prices, some a lot higher.

We have Cooper STT Pro 37x12.50R17 tires on 17x9 KMC XD128 Machete wheels with 4.53" backspace.

We like this kit because it works fantastic, zero jiggling over bumps, super easy solid tailgate access, backup camera compatibility, 3rd backup light compatibility and it looks great.

We use the tailgate every day many times and it is great to simply open and close the gate with zero hassle. We had a Genright swing out tire carrier on our former 2013 JK and it was great but we still had to unlatch the carrier and swing it open then separately open the tailgate, no big deal but it was an extra step. The Mopar kit is easier so that is good.

The Mopar kit was easy to install and the Mopar foam bump stops fit and work perfect with no modification. If you install the Mopar kit carefully it is real solid, I am real fussy and if it was flimsy or jiggly at all I would have ripped it off immediately.

I am not a big time rock crawler like Eddie or other guys on this forum but having watched Eddies videos it is quite clear that the JL tailgate can handle a heavy 37" tire and wheel with no problems even under extreme conditions.

The only other kit I would consider is the EVO hinged carrier but it was not available when we got the Mopar kit.