Skyjacker 3.5-4” lift

MiamiKid919

070D71E5-CF90-4E30-A7E2-9E2DBA3496FC.jpg
Is anyone running this lift kit
Skyjacker 3.5-4” liftkit
What are your thoughts?
Does anyone know enough about this kit to say if it’s good or bad?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First, it's probably way too early for there to be enough people running this kit or at least long enough to say one way or another about how it rides. Second, 3.5"-4" is a LOT of lift and especially being that most lift coils tend to offer more lift than is advertised. At this height, you'd most likely want to run some kind of suspension geometry correction up front such as drop brackets or install adjustable front lower control arms to add in a bit more positive caster. Also, your steering geometry will be off enough that your handling will be a bit off as well - as in, you'd feel things like more bump steer. Of course, with this much lift, your front drive shaft will have it's CV boot in a constant state of pinch and that will cause it to fail sooner than later. This is something we've seen on JK's for years. And then, there's the springs - me personally, I'm not a fan of dual rate coils being that most of the time, you end up with the soft side of the coil going solid and that leaves you riding on the firm side. In addition to giving a harsh ride, dual rate coils tend to resist stuff and that limits your flex.

MiamiKid919

First, it's probably way too early for there to be enough people running this kit or at least long enough to say one way or another about how it rides. Second, 3.5"-4" is a LOT of lift and especially being that most lift coils tend to offer more lift than is advertised. At this height, you'd most likely want to run some kind of suspension geometry correction up front such as drop brackets or install adjustable front lower control arms to add in a bit more positive caster. Also, your steering geometry will be off enough that your handling will be a bit off as well - as in, you'd feel things like more bump steer. Of course, with this much lift, your front drive shaft will have it's CV boot in a constant state of pinch and that will cause it to fail sooner than later. This is something we've seen on JK's for years. And then, there's the springs - me personally, I'm not a fan of dual rate coils being that most of the time, you end up with the soft side of the coil going solid and that leaves you riding on the firm side. In addition to giving a harsh ride, dual rate coils tend to resist stuff and that limits your flex.
So can I ask for your opinion on what I can run to clear what I’m what I am looking to do.. I rather not replace the bumper or fenders. I’m planning on running 22x14 wheels with -76mm offset tire wise I plan on doing Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37x13.50R22 because I don’t want the tires to look stretched onto the wheels. I’ve seen a set ups that have been accomplished with no lift and with 3” and in both scenario they replaced the front bumper and ran 35x12.50 which makes it look like rubber bands on something that wide. I like a full boxy tire

MiamiKid919

That’s not at all what I’m trying to build I want a mixture of something functional and some flash hence why I’m trying to run 37x13.50r22 instead of 26x16 wrapped in 35x12.50R26. Why do you assume that everyone wants to run a stock size and/or go rock crawling? Just because I want a larger setup doesn’t make Hood crawler. And if that’s your personal Jeep I mean no disrespect but it seems like every time I bring something like this up people think all Jeep have to be a certain way. If you want 30s go for it but that’s not what this thread was about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So can I ask for your opinion on what I can run to clear what I’m what I am looking to do.. I rather not replace the bumper or fenders. I’m planning on running 22x14 wheels with -76mm offset tire wise I plan on doing Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37x13.50R22 because I don’t want the tires to look stretched onto the wheels. I’ve seen a set ups that have been accomplished with no lift and with 3” and in both scenario they replaced the front bumper and ran 35x12.50 which makes it look like rubber bands on something that wide. I like a full boxy tire

Well, being that it doesn't sound like you'll be doing a whole lot of wheeling with your JL, I suppose you could clear 37's without any lift IF you're willing to remove your fender liners but if you keep your full width bumpers, you'll most likely see some rubbing when turning. 2" of lift should help this out.

ddays v2

That’s not at all what I’m trying to build I want a mixture of something functional and some flash hence why I’m trying to run 37x13.50r22 instead of 26x16 wrapped in 35x12.50R26. Why do you assume that everyone wants to run a stock size and/or go rock crawling? Just because I want a larger setup doesn’t make Hood crawler. And if that’s your personal Jeep I mean no disrespect but it seems like every time I bring something like this up people think all Jeep have to be a certain way. If you want 30s go for it but that’s not what this thread was about.

:cheesy: 22's, 26's, whatever Snoop. Thin skin much?
Besides, what makes you think I even have a Jeep?

Lyman

So when I was down buying my jeep the dealer had this jeep they had modified up for sale for $60k. This had the 3.5-4inch Skyjacker lift on it. I have always been told Skyjacker was stiff. The sales guy didn't even want to take me on a test drive in it saying that it did indeed ride stiff(take that for what its worth). I also think the lift was a little high for the 37's it had. Anyway just thought I would share the picture so people could see what this lift looks like. I plan to run a 2.5" lift myself.

Attachments

• DSCN1201.jpg
    DSCN1201.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 80

MiamiKid919

:cheesy: 22's, 26's, whatever Snoop. Thin skin much?
Besides, what makes you think I even have a Jeep?
It’s whatever.. end of the day whatever I spend my money on is my business. I came on this for fitment feedback not to be teased because you don’t approve of the build I’ve got in mind. Its more being irritated by the irrelevant post that didn’t contribute to the discussion.

ubbb69

Ball joints are going to be a good investment for you. 2” should be ok but really with that offset I have no clue about bumper.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
It’s whatever.. end of the day whatever I spend my money on is my business. I came on this for fitment feedback not to be teased because you don’t approve of the build I’ve got in mind. Its more being irritated by the irrelevant post that didn’t contribute to the discussion.

Glad to hear you are here for the content and community and not just to get the answers you need and then run off.

:crazyeyes:

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

Mine is bigger than yours.

ddays v2

Christ, tell your mommy to put your big boy pants on next time you're gonna try this internet forum thing out again :rolleyes2:

carbonalpine

This is the issue with Miami. You have your enthusiasts and you have your Havana Nights flashy crowd that buy these Jeeps. I get it, you have some pocket change and you want everyone to know. But this forum isn’t the best place to ask about 22” wheels.

But kuddos for opting against the “stretched” tire look lots of guys were running on the jk’s. Protecting that lip on those 22” wheels is smart.

Good luck MiamiBoy

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app