Let's talk Skids

Four Flusher

Since I'm going with 2" lift and 315's, I'm thinking about what areas might need skids. After "rocking" your JL hard and often, I'd like you input. Also, I've noticed that you haven't rushed to add sliders?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, the only skid I've been wanting is one to protect the transmission cooler lines as they are way exposed. The factory gas tank and transfer case skids are holding up great and way better than the JK before. Oil pan protection wouldn't be bad to have but not as critical as I know some people seem to think. Hoping EVO comes out with ProTek skids soon as I really like how they just protect what you need. I've never been a fan of big, heavy, bulky and heat retaining pain in the ass to remove skid systems. If you really need that much protection, you might want to learn how to pick better lines or use a spotter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was hoping that's what you'd say. Thoughts on rock rails?

There really aren't too many options available at this time or at least, that I'm interested in testing out. I'm hoping to get my hands on a set of LoD rocker guards as I've run them in the past on my JK's and they held up great.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that my factory rocker guards have already made contact with the rocker panels and put small dents in them. :rolleyes2:

Four Flusher

I'm confused about the difference between rocker guard and rock sliders. When I googled LOD rocker guards, all that came up was for the TJ. I don't think you're referring to rocker skins like the EVO ones.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm confused about the difference between rocker guard and rock sliders. When I googled LOD rocker guards, all that came up was for the TJ. I don't think you're referring to rocker skins like the EVO ones.

"Rocker guards" and "rock sliders" are just different names for the same thing. Skins are entirely different and just cover up the rocker panels.

tobyw

I should note that my factory rocker guards have already made contact with the rocker panels and put small dents in them. :rolleyes2:

I have already had the same thing happen:

IMG_0889.jpg

I've always run body-mounted sliders on my TJ/LJ's over the years, and all three of my JKU's also just had the stock Rubi rails. However, I'm firmly on the fence about which way to go on sliders for the JLU? On the one hand, I like the factory style because they fit tight to the body and aren't hanging down low(er) to be in the way in the first place. The flip side of that is, they aren't as strong as some of the aftermarket frame-mounted options which will clearly take more abuse, but at the expense of some ground clearance. :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have already had the same thing happen:

I've always run body-mounted sliders on my TJ/LJ's over the years, and all three of my JKU's also just had the stock Rubi rails. However, I'm firmly on the fence about which way to go on sliders for the JLU? On the one hand, I like the factory style because they fit tight to the body and aren't hanging down low(er) to be in the way in the first place. The flip side of that is, they aren't as strong as some of the aftermarket frame-mounted options which will clearly take more abuse, but at the expense of some ground clearance. :icon_crazy:

Yup, that's what I'm seeing and definitely see how it'll only get worse in time.

Like you, I had body mounted sliders on my TJ and they were definitely the way to go. That being said, after 11 years of wheeling JK's and seeing all the different rocker protection out there, body mounted sliders is NOT what I would recommend. The JK body panels were weak and I have seen plenty buckle with hard hits. The JL body panels are WEAKER. For me, I'll be going frame mounted for sure.

BBDOC

I love my RSE steps for the new JLU. Honestly, I haven’t had a chance to really ride them hard yet. With my limited off road experience in big bear they seem to do what they state. Expensive, but great for the family! Have you guys had experience with these on the JL or the previous JK?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I love my RSE steps for the new JLU. Honestly, I haven’t had a chance to really ride them hard yet. With my limited off road experience in big bear they seem to do what they state. Expensive, but great for the family! Have you guys had experience with these on the JL or the previous JK?

If you actually use them, I doubt they would hold up. They had a whole bunch of issues when they first came out with them not working.