Evo King Shocks

Jesse_01

Who has tried the EVO King Shocks? I am debating if I should add those or wait a little longer & see what else will be out.

artcicfox

Haven’t tried them but for that kind of money you should just get coil overs. Fox just released their shocks and they are much more affordable. Also Eddie is running the Rancho shock and says it’s a huge upgrade over stock

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Deezus

Haven’t tried them but for that kind of money you should just get coil overs. Fox just released their shocks and they are much more affordable. Also Eddie is running the Rancho shock and says it’s a huge upgrade over stock

Fox just released their shock?
Just saw them no thanks. No adjustors or reservoirs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jesse_01

I did see the fox ones. I have never setup coilovers & heard they can be an animal to setup. For this jeep an coilover would be over kill, so would the king shocks I guess. Probably fox is the route to go.

CalsJLUR

I had a set of Kings on my Ram 2500 and they were great. I am sure the options that are valves for the JL will be an excellent option, if you are willing to pay for them. artcicfox is correct, for the price you could opt for coil overs, but it depends on how and what you want to do with your build.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I did see the fox ones. I have never setup coilovers & heard they can be an animal to setup. For this jeep an coilover would be over kill, so would the king shocks I guess. Probably fox is the route to go.

The kings will be specially tuned to work with the coils that evo comes out with. If any shock is gonna work the best it will be them. The fox will be a generic off the shelf valving. The ranchos will be adjustable once the 9000’s come out for the JL.

Jesse_01

I had a set of Kings on my Ram 2500 and they were great. I am sure the options that are valves for the JL will be an excellent option, if you are willing to pay for them. artcicfox is correct, for the price you could opt for coil overs, but it depends on how and what you want to do with your build.

How are coilovers for setting up? I have heard people say they are easy, then the next person spends for ever trying different coil rates & pressure.

What about those air struts? Its for the wife’s weekend warrior rig/dd.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How are coilovers for setting up? I have heard people say they are easy, then the next person spends for ever trying different coil rates & pressure.

What about those air struts? Its for the wife’s weekend warrior rig/dd.

Stay away from air struts. They are not DD friendly. More trail rig style.

Coilovers are simple, yet complicated, and take a lot of maintenance. It’s hard to kind explain

CalsJLUR

The best option maybe for you to find someone local to you that has the setup you are looking for and see if they can give you a ride. Since this is a weekend warrior I am assuming you don’t want to lose the road manners for more technical off-road ability?

Jesse_01

The best option maybe for you to find someone local to you that has the setup you are looking for and see if they can give you a ride. Since this is a weekend warrior I am assuming you don’t want to lose the road manners for more technical off-road ability?

Pretty much, I am in northern bc canada. There is no one local to setup coil-overs lol. King non resi would work too. If it was my rig I would go resi, but wife not so much.

Last edited:

Deezus

I'm either going coilover or the new Fox res with adjusters. I believe they are silver and anodized red. Coilovers are somewhat difficult to dial in(depends a lot on what you want out of them) the on and off road ride is well worth it. My only negative is that on my JK they were so smooth it took away that "Jeep" feel of the road that I like...between that and the psc big bore kit and my JK was too smooth IMO. The JL All ready has a more refined ride to it and I don't want to take that away and make it so smooth it feels like a Cadillac or Lexus. I want long travel and adjusters as well so it's down to Kings v Fox(which aren't out yet). The other thing is I only want to buy once not 4 times like last time so I'm doing my homework more dillengently.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Jesse_01

I'm either going coilover or the new Fox res with adjusters. I believe they are silver and anodized red. Coilovers are somewhat difficult to dial in(depends a lot on what you want out of them) the on and off road ride is well worth it. My only negative is that on my JK they were so smooth it took away that "Jeep" feel of the road that I like...between that and the psc big bore kit and my JK was too smooth IMO. The JL All ready has a more refined ride to it and I don't want to take that away and make it so smooth it feels like a Cadillac or Lexus. I want long travel and adjusters as well so it's down to Kings v Fox(which aren't out yet). The other thing is I only want to buy once not 4 times like last time so I'm doing my homework more dillengently.

Same here or doing the homework. I want it smooth like a cadi but decent performance for a dd. With the wife driving it, its not going to really need to be that high of performance. A YJ will give you the jeep feeling lol.

My first plan was to use shock extension now untill more comes out. Trying to not go too crazy & over kill because I know it won't be used 100% to its capabilities.

CalsJLUR

Same here or doing the homework. I want it smooth like a cadi but decent performance for a dd. With the wife driving it, its not going to really need to be that high of performance. A YJ will give you the jeep feeling lol.

My first plan was to use shock extension now untill more comes out. Trying to not go too crazy & over kill because I know it won't be used 100% to its capabilities.

Shock extensions would be a good interim solution until the aftermarket catches up. Another option for the time being is the Roncho RS5000X, check out the link below, Eddie is using these on Jet Li.

VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Rancho RS5000X JL WRANGLER Shock Absorber Install & Review
https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?t=1539

Jesse_01

Not a fan of rancho. We had used them(5000,7000,9000) on our work trucks, they always fail with in a few months. I had them fail just driving in town all the time. Seals always seem to start leaking.

Good success with Bilsteins though.

CalsJLUR

Not a fan of rancho. We had used them(5000,7000,9000) on our work trucks, they always fail with in a few months. I had them fail just driving in town all the time. Seals always seem to start leaking.

Good success with Bilsteins though.

Bilsteins are great as well. I had a issue with them on my Ram and that is when I moved to the Kings.

3” Thuren Kit with all the goodies.
IMG_4024.JPG

Deezus

What is frustrating to me is the new King shocks for the JL I believe it's 25001-375a and 376a have no specs on their site. So there's no travel specifications.