JL Sport Unlimited Wont Start

SedonaJL

Has anyone had this issue? My 2018 JL Sport Unlimited wont start...I have had it for 4 months and have driven 4,250 miles. I couldn't get it to start and called road side assistance. Took 3 hours for a tow to the local dealership who won't be able to look at it until later this week. The service tech tried to start it and wasn't able to and got the same results and said something was wrong...DUH!!! All the electronics come on but the radio asks for the anti theft code and the computer cycles and flashes that everything needs service. It's now sitting at the dealership waiting for service.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds to me like your Jeep lost communication with your key FOB. This is something that's happened to me with my 2012 JK. Have you tried starting it with your other key?

SedonaJL

Not liking my first experience with a Jeep got the Wrangler back yesterday with the new PCM drove it and the check engine light came on. Visiting the dealership today and the code is for the brake pedal sensor. I’ve never had this many issues with other vehicles purchased new and I’m not going to share the makes[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

artcicfox

Things happen. Sure it’s an inconvenience but unless Jeep refuses to stand behind their vehicle i don’t honestly see the issue!! Having a Jeep that needs some free warranty work is way better then driving a Prius just saying [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

avnmech

I just experianced the same no start problem, my JLUS had three doors off and the screen kept saying no KeyFob Detected, the saying push start with keyfob, tried that for about 15 minutes, what finally worked was pushing the unlock door button, then pushing the start button with the key fob and it started. I guess it's the equivalent of pushing B,A,A,A,RIGHT,RIGHT,UP,DOWN with an old game controller, but I doubt I have unlocked some secret power up.
Also my Uconnect 5" screen is taking forever to turn on, and even longer to see my phone, going to the dealership Thursday to have them take a glance at it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it's the equivalent of pushing B,A,A,A,RIGHT,RIGHT,UP,DOWN with an old game controller, but I doubt I have unlocked some secret power up.

:cheesy: Now that's funny!! :cheesy:

Glad you were able to figure this out. In a crazy way, it kinda makes senses why having the doors locked before removing them would cause this issue. I now know what to try if this ever happens to me. Thanks!

Rubyone

2018 JLU Rubicon wouldn't start last night. Had issues with it in parking lot and it finally started after setting for about an hour. Had called for a tow but it started prior to tow truck arrival. Cancelled tow truck, drove it a few blocks an stopped at a light. Damn auto stop was still on so it stopped again. Wouldn't start back up. Waited another hour and it finally restarted again. Took it straight to the dealer after turning off the auto stop. Now awaiting for the dealer to respond back as to what the issue is. This has happened 3 times on me now. The other 2 times it was in my garage so I wasn't stranded. Hope someone figures this out soon. Tow truck driver told me he had 3 calls yesterday for the same issue.

Sent from my VS501 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
2018 JLU Rubicon wouldn't start last night. Had issues with it in parking lot and it finally started after setting for about an hour. Had called for a tow but it started prior to tow truck arrival. Cancelled tow truck, drove it a few blocks an stopped at a light. Damn auto stop was still on so it stopped again. Wouldn't start back up. Waited another hour and it finally restarted again. Took it straight to the dealer after turning off the auto stop. Now awaiting for the dealer to respond back as to what the issue is. This has happened 3 times on me now. The other 2 times it was in my garage so I wasn't stranded. Hope someone figures this out soon. Tow truck driver told me he had 3 calls yesterday for the same issue.

Sent from my VS501 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Well that just sucks! I must admit, the whole auto start stop is something I've never liked and now it has me feeling a bit concerned as well. Please keep us up to speed as to what your dealership finds out.

avnmech

I just experianced the same no start problem, my JLUS had three doors off and the screen kept saying no KeyFob Detected, the saying push start with keyfob, tried that for about 15 minutes, what finally worked was pushing the unlock door button, then pushing the start button with the key fob and it started. I guess it's the equivalent of pushing B,A,A,A,RIGHT,RIGHT,UP,DOWN with an old game controller, but I doubt I have unlocked some secret power up.
Also my Uconnect 5" screen is taking forever to turn on, and even longer to see my phone, going to the dealership Thursday to have them take a glance at it.

Auto correct it silly, I had [the doors off...].

avnmech

Auto correct it silly, I had [the doors off...].

Ok, direct from the dealer, the reason the JLs wont start with the doors off, and you hit the look button after to last stopped it, is that it thinks it's being stolen, even with you have the correct key fob. According to the dealer you MUST press the unlock button PRIOR to getting into the vehicle, the when you get into the vehicle it will recognize your fob, and you should be all good.

avnmech

Ok, direct from the dealer, the reason the JLs wont start with the doors off, and you hit the look button after to last stopped it, is that it thinks it's being stolen, even with you have the correct key fob. According to the dealer you MUST press the unlock button PRIOR to getting into the vehicle, the when you get into the vehicle it will recognize your fob, and you should be all good.

We are gonna try this post again in correct Engrish:

Ok, direct from the dealer, the reason the JLs wont start with the doors off, and you hit the look button after to last stopped it, is that it thinks it's being stolen, even if you have the correct key fob with you. According to the dealer you MUST press the unlock button PRIOR to getting into the vehicle, then when you get into the vehicle it will recognize your fob, and you should be all good.

Sorry was distracted and talking with a service manager while typing.