52” light bar above windshield

JLjeepster

Has anyone installed a light bar yet? I wanted to get one but I don’t see much out there right now for the JLs

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before you get one, you should ask yourself if you really need one and are okay with the the noise they make.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The noise can definitely range from whistle to wail. I've been more than satisfied with a pair of quality lights mounted on my bumper. Don't understand the need for 50" bars, multiple a-pillar cubes, etc.

BillArnett

A big light bar on top will reduce your fuel efficiency, too. I installed a 10" one on my bumper. It makes a LOT of light, more than I'll ever need. The only reason I can see for those huge light bars is if you're doing high speed racing at night.

NFRs2000NYC

Before you get one, you should ask yourself if you really need one and are okay with the the noise they make.

As someone that has a 50" bar and was glad to have one when I needed it, I will say, they are noisy. Mine made a horrible whistling sound, and I fixed that, but it still makes a pretty significant wind noise (thankfully low pitched.) Now, I listen to music fairly loudly so I can drown out my bar, but it is definitely a concern, they are fairly loud. They do however add horsepower and sex appeal, so there's that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As someone that has a 50" bar and was glad to have one when I needed it, I will say, they are noisy. Mine made a horrible whistling sound, and I fixed that, but it still makes a pretty significant wind noise (thankfully low pitched.) Now, I listen to music fairly loudly so I can drown out my bar, but it is definitely a concern, they are fairly loud. They do however add horsepower and sex appeal, so there's that.

Light bars are nice in that they provide a lot of light but they're far from an end all solution. There are other ways to light the way.

MrGiant

Didnt get it right to quote....sorry for that.
I totally agree. I dont have a led light bar on my YJ, but I have a mount for spots. Wheather its the tires or the old style soft top, I did not recognize a difference after install about noise.
I like the bad ass look so much, there will be a solution for me to have light bar mounted on the windscreen

Sent from my D6603 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I dont have a led light bar on my YJ, but I have a mount for spots. Wheather its the tires or the old style soft top, I did not recognize a difference after install about noise. I like the bad ass look so much, there will be a solution for me to have light bar mounted on the windscreen

Once you install an LED light bar, you'll know what we're talking about.

sharkey

Word Ninja
I've spent a fair amount of time trying to minimize the sound to a manageable level...which shouldn't have to be done.

13_gecko_rubi

I've spent a fair amount of time trying to minimize the sound to a manageable level...which shouldn't have to be done.
The light bar starter pack should include ear plugs and 22" wheels... :)

I had one once for when I planned on a multiple day night wheeling trip. I could not even use it unless in lead as I'd blind guy in front of me (ya dont be that guy!). It does work great though on the side of my buddies camper for lighting up the camping area.

Sent via....

NFRs2000NYC

The light bar starter pack should include ear plugs and 22" wheels... :)

I had one once for when I planned on a multiple day night wheeling trip. I could not even use it unless in lead as I'd blind guy in front of me (ya dont be that guy!). It does work great though on the side of my buddies camper for lighting up the camping area.

Sent via....

Im usually alone, but even when I tried to light up my own camping area, it's not really usable because you end up just blinding yourself. The key to lighting up a camping area is to get the light up high shining down. On my JL, I want to figure out something where I can mount something like a rigid dually on a telescoping pole by the rear tire, so I can extend the light up 15 feet up, and have it shining down. Lighting from the side sucks. Unfortunately, I haven't found said telescoping pole (would prefer aluminum) that would work. :(

13_gecko_rubi

Im usually alone, but even when I tried to light up my own camping area, it's not really usable because you end up just blinding yourself. The key to lighting up a camping area is to get the light up high shining down. On my JL, I want to figure out something where I can mount something like a rigid dually on a telescoping pole by the rear tire, so I can extend the light up 15 feet up, and have it shining down. Lighting from the side sucks. Unfortunately, I haven't found said telescoping pole (would prefer aluminum) that would work. :(
Milwaukee sells those type lights on a pole that run on their fuel batteries. He has that too lol

Sent via....