40s on stock Rubicon JL axles

Deezus

Saw some people already doing this on stock axles. Myself, I wouldn't try it but I personally know a few people doing this on JKs. It's funny how they tell me just go 40s and I always say no...anyone see this yet?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

13_gecko_rubi

So to date no one has broken any of the stock axles running 40s. Many folks think this means it will work. Reality the most I've seen people actually wheel that way was at EJS. And of all the guys who did it they only did it because they could not get axles in time. I dont care if u run a dana 80, if its semi float you are going to bend the flanges with 40s in the rear of you actually use it. The front tubes and knuckles on the JL are stronger for sure but the unit bearings and ujoints are same size as a JK. Again if you use it on 40s fou are going to break it at some point.

It's all up to the user and what you plan to actually do with your jeep. If it's a street machine, with the increased width you can probably make it live. If you plan to really wheel it you better have a 20-30k budget to make 40s live. Just my 2c

Sent via....

Deezus

So to date no one has broken any of the stock axles running 40s. Many folks think this means it will work. Reality the most I've seen people actually wheel that way was at EJS. And of all the guys who did it they only did it because they could not get axles in time. I dont care if u run a dana 80, if its semi float you are going to bend the flanges with 40s in the rear of you actually use it. The front tubes and knuckles on the JL are stronger for sure but the unit bearings and ujoints are same size as a JK. Again if you use it on 40s fou are going to break it at some point.

It's all up to the user and what you plan to actually do with your jeep. If it's a street machine, with the increased width you can probably make it live. If you plan to really wheel it you better have a 20-30k budget to make 40s live. Just my 2c

Sent via....
This is my feelings exactly... Also kinda takes "some" of the challenge out of wheeling.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can put any size tire on something and drive around the street. Wheeling is another story.

Yup, what these guys said ^^^^

Amric

Some people can’t justify d60/d80 with the wife, but should the stock ones somehow “accidentally” break, then they have no choice but to upgrade.

Last edited: