Rough country dual steering stabilizer

sandhu07

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum just bought the new JLU Rubicon and installed 37" Nitto Ridge grappler with 2" Mopar lift. I just saw the the dual steering stabilizer from Rough Country. Does anyone installed it on their JL yet. Do you think installing this will help the control on the steering?

JTCO

Meme King
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum just bought the new JLU Rubicon and installed 37" Nitto Ridge grappler with 2" Mopar lift. I just saw the the dual steering stabilizer from Rough Country. Does anyone installed it on their JL yet. Do you think installing this will help the control on the steering?

Welcome to JL Wrangler. Aftermarket steering stabilizers are a waste of money. What problem are you having with the Jeep?

sandhu07

That's likely a caster problem. Could be tire pressure but sounds more like caster. Did your lift come with adjustable control arms? Did this symptom start right after the lift kit?

I am not sure about the adjustable control arm. Its a factory Mopar 2” lift. It had that little play in the steering, but after lift it started a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I am not sure about the adjustable control arm. Its a factory Mopar 2” lift. It had that little play in the steering, but after lift it started a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sounds like something else then but if the front end is set up right, a stabilizer does nothing. It will absorb the play and hide the symptom. As the play gets worse, you may not even know. I've been through this myself many times. I checked and it looks like the Mopar kit comes with longer front arms to correct caster with the lift, so if that's the case, it's likely not a caster problem.

I would start by making sure all bolts are tight and that all front end components are good (they should be on a newer vehicle, but checking yourself will confirm). Also make sure your tire pressure isn't to high. Chalk test them to see where you should be.

Also, there may be a steering recall, so check with your dealer: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?1519-Steering-Safety-Recall .

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

Congrats on the Jeep! Are you having trouble with it at all or does it just feel “flighty” now on the bigger tires? If your dealer installed it I’d bet your tires are way over inflated. The factory recommends something in the high 30s (my Sahara is 38psi). Take yours down to 32 or even call Nitto customer support & see what they recommend. I bet it’ll make a difference.

No matter what though you just made a massive change to your Jeep & you trade off-road capability for tight highway steering. It’s gonna be different.

Back In Black

Hello Everyone,

So I have the same experience - abnormally more bump steer (assuming that’s what it is) in the steering wheel. I have 2 lifts at my expense (MOPAR 2” & EVO 2.5 Stage II). I brought the Dual Stabalizer, it didn’t correct it. It definitely added some dampening, but it didn’t take out the bump steer.

I went as far as removing the 37’s (Cooper STT Pro) on 5.2” backspace wheels - which is where the bump steer was worst. I installed the 315/70/17 KO2 on stock wheels, the bump steer improved but it’s still annoying. Something is definitely different about my Wrangler versus others, just can’t figure it out. BTW all steering components are tight, nothing is loose.

How am I so confident there is a difference? I built a brand new JLUR with EVO 2.5”, 37’s Cooper STT, 5.2 backspace wheel (hard rock from Quadretec) for work (show car). That thing drives awesome, and it has hardly any bump steer, as if the steering wheel has much more dampening than mine.

I wonder if there is any adjustments that can be made in the steering pump?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have the same experience - abnormally more bump steer (assuming that’s what it is) in the steering wheel. I have 2 lifts at my expense (MOPAR 2” & EVO 2.5 Stage II). I brought the Dual Stabalizer, it didn’t correct it. It definitely added some dampening, but it didn’t take out the bump steer.

I went as far as removing the 37’s (Cooper STT Pro) on 5.2” backspace wheels - which is where the bump steer was worst. I installed the 315/70/17 KO2 on stock wheels, the bump steer improved but it’s still annoying. Something is definitely different about my Wrangler versus others, just can’t figure it out. BTW all steering components are tight, nothing is loose.

How am I so confident there is a difference? I built a brand new JLUR with EVO 2.5”, 37’s Cooper STT, 5.2 backspace wheel (hard rock from Quadretec) for work (show car). That thing drives awesome, and it has hardly any bump steer, as if the steering wheel has much more dampening than mine.

I wonder if there is any adjustments that can be made in the steering pump?

Wow, that's awesome you were able to do a side by side comparison but it's a bummer that it just goes to show that there's something going on with your Jeep. I wonder if it's something that can be fixed with programming. Sounds like maybe you've got an issue with just the electric steering.

Deezus

Hello Everyone,
Did you take off the front air dam? It's part of the aerodynamics of the vehicle from what I've read....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk