Cracked windshield

wanderer

At less than 3000 miles. Heard a small noise checked for a rock chip. None. Next morning cracked windshield. Any idea what a new one costs? Seems like these crack easier than on the jk? Any solutions. ? Rumor of gorilla glass for the windshield any one if this true? When?

JTCO

Meme King
See if your insurance policy has glass coverage on it. If not, check with Novus or Safelite in your area for a price. Aftermarket glass still meets safety standards and is usually cheaper than factory glass.

Our insurance policy has glass coverage, I think it's 4 dollars per month and a zero dollar deductible for repairs or replacements. Regardless of the number of claims, it doesn't affect rates. We've put 3 windshields on the JK already with no cost to us. It's a worthwhile policy addition, IMO.

WWRuby_Svi

I’m pretty sure somewhere on Jeeps website it talks about gorilla glass being used. I think the gorilla glass is supposed to be better for rock chips so some cheaper aftermarket standard glass may not be a good alternative even though it’s cheaper... of course this is what Jeep is saying so there’s that too.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

I’m pretty sure somewhere on Jeeps website it talks about gorilla glass being used. I think the gorilla glass is supposed to be better for rock chips so some cheaper aftermarket standard glass may not be a good alternative even though it’s cheaper... of course this is what Jeep is saying so there’s that too.

They offer gorilla glass for the JK. It just came out. Not for JL yet. It is definitely stronger and has a 2 year warranty again at breaks. But at a price premium.

Sent via....

13_gecko_rubi

Ahh that must be what I saw. I know they talk about a laminate for the active noise control with the alpine, I was probably confusing the two.

This is where the internet cracks me up.

1) you don't get active noise control with the alpine. At least not on the 3.6. It is only on the 2.0l and European diesels

2) ALL JLs have laminated acoustic glass. Doesnt matter what sound system you get. They all have it.

So much bad info out there

Sent via....

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Ahh that must be what I saw. I know they talk about a laminate for the active noise control with the alpine, I was probably confusing the two.

This is where the internet cracks me up.

1) you don't get active noise control with the alpine. At least not on the 3.6. It is only on the 2.0l and European diesels

2) ALL JLs have laminated acoustic glass. Doesnt matter what sound system you get. They all have it.

So much bad info out there

Sent via....

Just to clarify, when you guys say "active noise control" do you mean "active noise cancellation"? I just cut and paste this info directly from the Jeep website...

20180610_111017.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:

BillArnett

At less than 3000 miles. Heard a small noise checked for a rock chip. None. Next morning cracked windshield. Any idea what a new one costs? Seems like these crack easier than on the jk? Any solutions. ? Rumor of gorilla glass for the windshield any one if this true? When?

My insurance didn’t pay for it. Cost me $1000 for the factory replacement via Safelite :-(

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
My insurance didn’t pay for it. Cost me $1000 for the factory replacement via Safelite :-(

Holy crap. I've been a lot of places, but Colorado seems to be cracked windshield central. We have three automobiles, with a total of 8 factory replacement windshields over the course of 3 years. My glass deductible is $20 OEM or $0 aftermarket.

JAGS

Let's just say I know a thing or two about the JL. It's not on the 3.6.

Sent via....

So they all come with the special glass but not all upgraded alpines come with the added feature? Very interesting.

What is it about the turbo package that needs the sound system feature and not the premium Rubicon sound system.

13_gecko_rubi

So they all come with the special glass but not all upgraded alpines come with the added feature? Very interesting.

What is it about the turbo package that needs the sound system feature and not the premium Rubicon sound system.
Active noise cancellation is only effective at canceling certain frequencies. A v6 and a turbo i4 have very different harmonics. There is nothing premium about a "premium Rubicon sound system". The premium sound system is the same on all trims.

Sent via....

JAGS

Active noise cancellation is only effective at canceling certain frequencies. A v6 and a turbo i4 have very different harmonics. There is nothing premium about a "premium Rubicon sound system". The premium sound system is the same on all trims.

Sent via....

Ok. So am I reading this right.... it’s there, but just not really effective with the 3.6 engine? The sound system is the same just the frequencies it cancels will make it “work.” Way too much science for me. Lol. 🤯