Leather Options?

aug0211

Dealer ordering system is showing 3 leather options:

1. The standard leather we’re all used to
2. A new “perforated” leather
3. A new “stitched” leather

Both of the new ones add something like $200 over the normal leather option.

Dealer has no info, but has small-medium sized photos of each. Perforated looked similar to the leather in my Grand Cherokee, and the Stitched looked kind of plush with a pattern stitched down the middle.

I rolled the dice and added perforated to my order.

Anyone know anything about these?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

keviper1

Didn’t know it was an option. Perforated will have tiny holes in the leather which are typically used for cooled seats. However, a lot of companies are using them because they do make the seats “cooler” even if the seats aren’t actually air conditioned. The downside is everything gets caught in the tiny holes.

aug0211

Didn’t know it was an option. Perforated will have tiny holes in the leather which are typically used for cooled seats. However, a lot of companies are using them because they do make the seats “cooler” even if the seats aren’t actually air conditioned. The downside is everything gets caught in the tiny holes.

I was surprised to see it, too. Odd that there’s no marketing or info online about either of the new options (they just showed up recently).

keviper1

I think it’s a great option if it actually exits :)

Other than small crumbs, and other things that accumulate in those tiny holes it does allow the leather to breath a bit easier.

I was actually surprised with all the updates that these weren’t just the standard seats. Seeing as they essentially pulled all the tech from the Pacifica/GC it would have been easy to add ventilated seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13_gecko_rubi

1) those new options are "mopar" upfit options. It is katskinz leather. Just like they did on the JK previously. Perforated is an option.

2) there is a good reason why there aren't ventilated seats. JLs are still rates to 30" water fording depth. At 30" deep the bottom of the seat where the fans would be would be under water. Could you use expensive sealed fans etc. Maybe. Still would have issues likely. Other way would be to reduce water fording depth but the Wrangler tries to maintain it's fundamental principle, capability. It's a fine line where u start removing key attributes of it :)

Sent via....

aug0211

1) those new options are "mopar" upfit options. It is katskinz leather. Just like they did on the JK previously. Perforated is an option.

2) there is a good reason why there aren't ventilated seats. JLs are still rates to 30" water fording depth. At 30" deep the bottom of the seat where the fans would be would be under water. Could you use expensive sealed fans etc. Maybe. Still would have issues likely. Other way would be to reduce water fording depth but the Wrangler tries to maintain it's fundamental principle, capability. It's a fine line where u start removing key attributes of it :)

Sent via....

Awesome, thank you for this great info!!!

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

Sent via....

Maybe build them with hemis and 60’s from the factory on 40’s and you can do the seat thing. ;)

BillArnett

Hahaha. I just got my jk back in the road today with the new xd60/pr80. The 80 is freaking massive!! But my favorite is the steering. Got the 72.5s and I forgot what having good steering is like!

Sent via....

I don’t understand this. What is it that makes the steering better?

13_gecko_rubi

I don’t understand this. What is it that makes the steering better?
Wider axles with deeper backspacing is much better scrub radius. The new pro1550 knuckles also were designed for low scrub. Typically with 40s you need to run 3.5bs so you don't rub the frame rails. That makes for horrible scrub radius. With the wider axles and 4.75 bs wheels I'm getting full steering with the box being the limiter now.

Wow I have derailed this leather thread huh. Lol

Sent via....

BillArnett

Wider axles with deeper backspacing is much better scrub radius. The new pro1550 knuckles also were designed for low scrub. Typically with 40s you need to run 3.5bs so you don't rub the frame rails. That makes for horrible scrub radius. With the wider axles and 4.75 bs wheels I'm getting full steering with the box being the limiter now.

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Wow I have derailed this leather thread huh. Lol

Thanks anyway :)

aug0211

Awesome! Thank you! I’m excited about it.

Although, I’m also on the verge of bailing altogether on my order. I figure right now, there’s probably only an added 3 month wait to just get a 2019. Or if I really want one now, go for a 3.6. Tough to say.

aug0211

Yikes - I am now in D status and am trying to get my dealer/FCA rep to modify my order.

I want to remove this premium leather option and add the regular option.

I’d love the premium leather - but when my dealer submitted the order he switched to cloth and then added the premium leather - making this just a ~$200 upgrade.

The problem is, if you do not do the normal leather package and add the premium as well, you only get leather seats. Won’t have the leather shifter, door inserts, handbrake, or other changes that come with leather.

Hoping he can remove the premium leather and add the standard leather for me - otherwise I may take it as a sign and bail on my ‘18 Turbo - perhaps wait for a ‘19 (or find a 3.6 off a lot).