Lift question

Jesse_01

After doing some reading on jku's & long arm kits under 4". Would I be better off with just a EVO3.5" short arm? Its going on a JLU.

Apparently 2 doors, long arm is yes. On a 4 door its more of a grey area, height dependent?

I have never driven a lifted jku only a TJ long arm. So don't have much to compare from.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At 3.5", your suspension geometry will be off enough that you "could" benefit from long arms to help correct them and provide a nicer ride on pavement or when bombing across the desert. That being said, ride quality is 100% subjective and plenty of people will swear that factory length arms on a JKU is fine. I should note that the front arms on a JL are about an inch longer too. I intend to test out 3.5" of lift with factory length arms and I'll report back what I think of them after I do. :yup:

Jesse_01

At 3.5", your suspension geometry will be off enough that you "could" benefit from long arms to help correct them and provide a nicer ride on pavement or when bombing across the desert. That being said, ride quality is 100% subjective and plenty of people will swear that factory length arms on a JKU is fine. I should note that the front arms on a JL are about an inch longer too. I intend to test out 3.5" of lift with factory length arms and I'll report back what I think of them after I do. :yup:

Sounds good. I guess shocks will have some play in how it rides also. So for the extra $770, long arm evo kit would be a no brainer then.

I am almost more excited than the wife lol. Even though I won't be driving it [emoji853]

I was set on long arm from the get go, but was over thinking it. So I figure I would ask.

Are the King 2.5 shocks worth the coin or are you paying for the name?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good. I guess shocks will have some play in how it rides also. So for the extra $770, long arm evo kit would be a no brainer then.

I am almost more excited than the wife lol. Even though I won't be driving it [emoji853]

I was set on long arm from the get go, but was over thinking it. So I figure I would ask.

Are the King 2.5 shocks worth the coin or are you paying for the name?

You'll need to take into account installation cost of a long arm kit too. A majority of ride quality comes from spring rate, shocks will dampen hits and suspension geometry will make a difference but mostly on road.

Kings are nice but they'll shine most when driving hard and fast across the desert. Anything less than that, you'll most likely not even notice the difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will install myself. Probably won't be any desert running. Too many trees around here.

Well, if you're a good welder, a long arm kit should be no problem. If not, I'm gonna bet that factory length arms will do the job for you just fine.

Jesse_01

Well, if you're a good welder, a long arm kit should be no problem. If not, I'm gonna bet that factory length arms will do the job for you just fine.

The evo long arm kit has bolt holes in the brackets that match up to factory holes on the frame. From what they say its enough to drive drive it for a short period.

I was going to bolt it up @ home then run it down to our shop on a trailer to get welded.

I can weld, but also know people who can weld better lol.