Front Axle disconnect FAD

Dank

I just read the tech article regarding how the FAD works, but had a question regarding the failure points. Is the weak link the coupler, U-joints, Axles, housing?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just read the tech article regarding how the FAD works, but had a question regarding the failure points. Is the weak link the coupler, U-joints, Axles, housing?

If anything were to go out on it, I would have to guess it'd be the motor that operates it.

13_gecko_rubi

If anything were to go out on it, I would have to guess it'd be the motor that operates it.
I'd agree. And not so much the motor being weak but the motor getting smashed. It has a skid but if you really play hard could probally use a beefed up one. I know artec makes one.

Sent via....

BillArnett

I'd agree. And not so much the motor being weak but the motor getting smashed. It has a skid but if you really play hard could probally use a beefed up one. I know artec makes one.

Sent via....

Yeah, or the electrical connectors. The sway bar disconnect on my JK failed due to a bad seal or something: it was all rusty inside. Very expensive fix. I hope they fixed that on the JL and for the FAD, too.