JL JOURNAL : Rancho RS5000X JL WRANGLER Shock Absorber Install & Review

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that the EVO 2.5” Lift that Cindy and I have on our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is pretty much made up of coil spacers and shock extensions, the overall ride quality really hasn’t changed all that much. However, thanks to our 37” Cooper’s and KMC XD231’s, we have noticed there are times when the factory shocks can have a hard time of keeping up with the considerable heavier weight and because of it, we’ve been looking to replace them with something better. Fortunately for us, our good friends over at Rancho were able to help us out and with something entirely new!

Made specifically with the JL Wrangler in mind, Rancho took their recently redesigned and ever popular RS5000X and improved upon it with an all new feature called, DRS or Dynamic Rebound Spring Technology. In addition to everything that made the RS5000X great, it now has a unique internal system that utilizes a spring and among other things, it provides greater control, reduced body roll and helps prevent rod over-extension. The Rancho RS5000X shocks are available in stock lengths and extended lengths designed to provide an additional 2.5” of greater travel up front and 4.5” more in the rear. For our purposes, that would mean we could installed them on our 2.5" lifted JL Wrangler and without the need for shock extensions. While they're far from being a set of high end bypass shocks, at about $55 a piece, the price for them is really hard to beat and for the improved ride quality they offer, I personally think they're well worth the price.

In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see a the installation of Rancho RS5000X shock absorbers on our JL Wrangler and see them getting tested off road testing out on dirt roads, rough terrain and out on the rocks. We hope you enjoy.

A full written version of the installation along with high res photos and a list of things you'll need can be found here:
WRITE-UP : Rancho RS5000X JL WRANGLER Shock Absorber Installation

RustyE

What are your thoughts on the Rancho 2” lift kit that comes with the RS5000X shocks? I’m researching lift kit options, and wondered what your opinion of the whole kit is. I’m looking to run 35’s, and wheel as often as I can, but it would definitely spend more OFF the trail. Having said that, when I do get time to wheel, I’d like to feel confidence in the parts I have installed.

Rusty

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What are your thoughts on the Rancho 2” lift kit that comes with the RS5000X shocks? I’m researching lift kit options, and wondered what your opinion of the whole kit is. I’m looking to run 35’s, and wheel as often as I can, but it would definitely spend more OFF the trail. Having said that, when I do get time to wheel, I’d like to feel confidence in the parts I have installed.

Rusty

Being that you're just planning to run 35's, I think the Rancho kit is a GREAT kit. I would definitely recommend it.

Great video! I’m was really happy with my old Rancho 5000’s with the old school technology. I bet these are even better.

The new DRS definitely kick things up a notch. On our last trip, we bottomed out a few times hitting the whoops but the hits weren't anywhere near as bad as they would have been with our factory shocks.

stragler

Rancho Shocks

Being that the EVO 2.5” Lift that Cindy and I have on our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is pretty much made up of coil spacers and shock extensions, the overall ride quality really hasn’t changed all that much. However, thanks to our 37” Cooper’s and KMC XD231’s, we have noticed there are times when the factory shocks can have a hard time of keeping up with the considerable heavier weight and because of it, we’ve been looking to replace them with something better. Fortunately for us, our good friends over at Rancho were able to help us out and with something entirely new!

Made specifically with the JL Wrangler in mind, Rancho took their recently redesigned and ever popular RS5000X and improved upon it with an all new feature called, DRS or Dynamic Rebound Spring Technology. In addition to everything that made the RS5000X great, it now has a unique internal system that utilizes a spring and among other things, it provides greater control, reduced body roll and helps prevent rod over-extension. The Rancho RS5000X shocks are available in stock lengths and extended lengths designed to provide an additional 2.5” of greater travel up front and 4.5” more in the rear. For our purposes, that would mean we could installed them on our 2.5" lifted JL Wrangler and without the need for shock extensions. While they're far from being a set of high end bypass shocks, at about $55 a piece, the price for them is really hard to beat and for the improved ride quality they offer, I personally think they're well worth the price.

In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see a the installation of Rancho RS5000X shock absorbers on our JL Wrangler and see them getting tested off road testing out on dirt roads, rough terrain and out on the rocks. We hope you enjoy.

A full written version of the installation along with high res photos and a list of things you'll need can be found here:
WRITE-UP : Rancho RS5000X JL WRANGLER Shock Absorber Installation
Good Video Eddie installation looks simple enough but as hard as shocks work wouldn't it be better to up grade to coil overs or oil reservoir type...

RMC2

I have been a Rancho fan for a long time. I will be interested in seeing how the DRS works out over time. I wonder if it limits travel a little.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, I think you might have me leaning towards Rancho, when I do the lift

Well, they do work well and are about as affordable as they come and even if later down the road you decide to upgrade (even to a better Rancho), you won't have so much heartburn. :yup:

I have been a Rancho fan for a long time. I will be interested in seeing how the DRS works out over time. I wonder if it limits travel a little.

So far as I could tell, there was no limit to the amount of travel I was seeing.

Hohertz

Great video as always. Love watching these and getting ideas for what direction I will take my JL when I do finally break down and buy one. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video. I’ve been pleased with the older Rancho 5000x. I’m also glad to see Jeep changed out the wicked upper shock mount design, that was on the JK!

LOL!! The new upper mounts are definitely an improvement over the JK. :crazyeyes:

Rellik

Hi Eddie,
There is some thought that running without the plastic shock boots is the way to go. Your thoughts?

aust249

Just got my Rancho kit delivered. Thanks for posting all the in depth install info. I feel better prepared to tackle the install myself.

JTCO

Meme King
Hi Eddie,
There is some thought that running without the plastic shock boots is the way to go. Your thoughts?

I used to run shock boots on aftermarket shocks until I saw how much water and mud builds up in there and STAYS in there. The purpose of the boot is to keep dust out. In my opinion, they're better off removed.

I'm looking at this lift with the 9000 series shocks, and the jks jspec 2.5 lift. With either lift I'll be installing that companies front lower control arms. Just to clarify on the Rancho lift can I move the factory rear sway bar links to the front like you did with no problems? I'd rather do that instead of using the brackets Rancho sends with the kit. Btw I wish everyone went into the detail you, and Cindy do with your videos.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at this lift with the 9000 series shocks, and the jks jspec 2.5 lift. With either lift I'll be installing that companies front lower control arms. Just to clarify on the Rancho lift can I move the factory rear sway bar links to the front like you did with no problems? I'd rather do that instead of using the brackets Rancho sends with the kit.

That's what I did. I should note, after I installed their 3.5" coils and long travel shocks, I needed to install the relocation brackets as well to. Without them, the links would have been too short and would have over extended at a full flex.

Btw I wish everyone went into the detail you, and Cindy do with your videos.

LOL!! Truth be told, we're kinda glad that they don't. :crazyeyes: