Nitto Trail Grappler pulling left help

ncbmx64

I am running 37 12.50 17 trail grapplers on my JLU with Mopar 2" lift. I have a pretty significant pull to the left not too bad under 45 mph but the faster I go the worse it gets. I took to the dealer and I have had the alignment checked twice and vehicle inspected for any suspension issues both times everything checks out ok. I swapped front tires left to right, rear tires left to right, front tires to rear and then swapped left to right again front and rear, I also put my spare on at each corner and always have a pull to the left. Is there anything else to check that could cause a pull to the left. I contacted Nitto and they said they haven't heard of any issues with these tires having a pull to the left and recommend I go somewhere to have warranty inspection done. Anyone have any ideas or have heard of Trail Grapplers pulling left?

Rellik

I had a set of Nittos that had a horrible radial tire pull to driver. I chased the issue until going to a different tire which solved the pull issue

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A strong radial pull to the left is normal for Nitto Trail Grapplers. They're a good tire but it is one of the reasons why I no longer run them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you might want to try is to reinstall the tires with the angular shoulder lugs facing out. I've done this in the past and while it may not look as good or completely fix the problem, it did help out.

ncbmx64

Thanks everyone :beer::beer: !! I was going crazy trying to figure out if it was the tires or something with the Jeep. Not sure what Nitto will do for me as far as refunding me or not or just giving me credit towards another set of Nittos or just telling me there is nothing they can do. Has anyone had any experience with them on a warranty issue?

ncbmx64

One thing you might want to try is to reinstall the tires with the angular shoulder lugs facing out. I've done this in the past and while it may not look as good or completely fix the problem, it did help out.

I currently have the "standard" sidewall sticking out, I thought about switching them to the "gothic" style outward and see if that would help. Going to wait to hear back from Nitto before I do anything else as I am tired of moving my wheels around these 37's get heavy after a while. The guy at Discount Tire said he would call Nitto monday with the info from their inspection and from there it will be a waiting game from Nitto to see what they want to do. If they refund me Im thinking of trying the Cooper's if they just replace with diff set of Nittos thinking of the Ridge Grapplers

aug0211

No experience - but who did you buy them through? A lot of places will offer a no questions asked replacement option if you’re unhappy for any reason. That was a big factor in me deciding to pull the trigger on my E rated Ridge Grapplers.

...that are still sitting in the shop - lol, they must think I’m crazy. Something like $1,500 just sitting there for 2 months [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ncbmx64

No experience - but who did you buy them through? A lot of places will offer a no questions asked replacement option if you’re unhappy for any reason. That was a big factor in me deciding to pull the trigger on my E rated Ridge Grapplers.

...that are still sitting in the shop - lol, they must think I’m crazy. Something like $1,500 just sitting there for 2 months [emoji28]

I purchased them through a online store. Think the return time has passed it took a while for me to get them mounted then do all this trouble shooting. So now looks like I need to deal with Nitto directly. So far they have been good to work with and have been pretty helpful about getting me taken care of.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what there would be to warranty being that the radial pull is totally normal. Most large off road tires have a little pull one way or the other. That you're unhappy with them is a totally different issue. Typically, this is something your tire shop would help you out with but if you can actually get Nitto to help you out, please keep us informed.

ncbmx64

Not sure what there would be to warranty being that the radial pull is totally normal. Most large off road tires have a little pull one way or the other. That you're unhappy with them is a totally different issue. Typically, this is something your tire shop would help you out with but if you can actually get Nitto to help you out, please keep us informed.

Unfortunately I didn't buy them from a tire shop, I purchased them from a online retailer and the return period has passed. When I contacted Nitto the rep told me that the pull was not normal and shouldn't be happening he then asked me to go to a local Discount Tire to have them do a inspection of the tires and asked to email him the alignment paperwork and receipts for everything. So we will see how it plays out, Ill report back when they get back with me.

Unfortunately I didn't buy them from a tire shop, I purchased them from a online retailer and the return period has passed. When I contacted Nitto the rep told me that the pull was not normal and shouldn't be happening he then asked me to go to a local Discount Tire to have them do a inspection of the tires and asked to email him the alignment paperwork and receipts for everything. So we will see how it plays out, Ill report back when they get back with me.

I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but what pressure are you running them at? If they’re not aired up exactly that might throw you off a bit. Ask Nitto their recommendation. Don’t use the dash for a real pressure reading. Use a real tire pressure gauge. My driveway has a bit of a lean to it so the Jeeps load gets shifted a bit. I’ve noticed that if I check my tire pressure on it it will change by a pound or two once I’m warmed up and actually on flat ground.

ncbmx64

I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but what pressure are you running them at? If they’re not aired up exactly that might throw you off a bit. Ask Nitto their recommendation. Don’t use the dash for a real pressure reading. Use a real tire pressure gauge. My driveway has a bit of a lean to it so the Jeeps load gets shifted a bit. I’ve noticed that if I check my tire pressure on it it will change by a pound or two once I’m warmed up and actually on flat ground.

Thanks for the advice, I have ran between 26-34 psi with no noticeable difference.

ncbmx64

Nitto contacted me and they will replace my tires with another set of trail grapplers or ridge grapplers. Since it’s gonna drive me crazy to have this pull the Question is should
I get another set of trail grapplers or go with ridge grapplers. Any advice on the ridge grapplers would be great.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nitto contacted me and they will replace my tires with another set of trail grapplers or ridge grapplers. Since it’s gonna drive me crazy to have this pull the Question is should
I get another set of trail grapplers or go with ridge grapplers. Any advice on the ridge grapplers would be great.

Well, I can guarantee that you’ll still have the radial pull to the left with Trail Grapplers. So, looks like Ridge Grapplers will be a better bet for you.

ncbmx64

Update... Thanks to Nitto and Discount Tire for their great customer support. Nitto covered tire replacement but unfortunately the Ridge Grapplers weren't in stock any where with no ETA of availability. So Nitto covered replacement to another brand of tire and I ordered a set of the Cooper Discoverer STT Pros. Again cannot say enough about Nitto and Discount Tire for all their help both companies have some of the best customer service I have received in a long time. I have never used Cooper tires hopefully they are as great as everyone says they are.

Ordie Chief

Well, I can guarantee that you’ll still have the radial pull to the left with Trail Grapplers. So, looks like Ridge Grapplers will be a better bet for you.

I ran trail grapplers for years with ZERO pull to the left or right.... anyone that considers this normal and will accept it as fact is setting the bar low on a very expensive set of tires.... @wayoflife you have a lot of knowledge and I appreciate you sharing that with all of us but you are wrong in this case... OP you have every right to question Nitto Or who ever sold you these tire a demand 100% satisfaction

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Update... Thanks to Nitto and Discount Tire for their great customer support. Nitto covered tire replacement but unfortunately the Ridge Grapplers weren't in stock any where with no ETA of availability. So Nitto covered replacement to another brand of tire and I ordered a set of the Cooper Discoverer STT Pros. Again cannot say enough about Nitto and Discount Tire for all their help both companies have some of the best customer service I have received in a long time. I have never used Cooper tires hopefully they are as great as everyone says they are.

Wow, that's great to hear. Kudos to both Nitto and Discount Tire. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ran trail grapplers for years with ZERO pull to the left or right....

As I stated back on post #5, if you run Trail Grapplers with the angular shoulder lugs facing out, the radial pull is minimized significantly. I might even add that when I did this as a test, the difference was enough to make me think there was no pull or not enough to worry about. If I could guess, this is how you've been running yours.

anyone that considers this normal and will accept it as fact is setting the bar low on a very expensive set of tires....

Umm, as I've stated, this pull is a big part of why I no longer run them. You know, because I would expect more from a very expensive set of tires. :rolleyes2:

@wayoflife you have a lot of knowledge and I appreciate you sharing that with all of us but you are wrong in this case...

LOL!! Right, because guys like me would have any reason to make this stuff up. Try Googling "trail grappler pull to left" and see all the results that come up.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=_O...1.64.psy-ab..0.3.375...0j0i67k1.0.aGDkPxzaiIk