Push button start failed 4-6 times today

rggedlooksgood

When I tried starting my JLU Sport today, it reported failure to detect the key fob and the engine would not start. I tried 4-6 times, and got the same message each time. On the next try, it returned to normal function, and started right up. No time lost, but it made me wish I had a regular key slot in the dash lol. Here's the details, in case anyone else has experienced this.

Vehicle specifics: 2018 JLU Sport, 8-speed automatic trans, NO keyless features on the fob other than push button start (hand crank windows, no power locks, pretty basic). Have owned it for 4 weeks, and have 1,700 miles on it. So far, no other system anomalies to report.

So, here's what happened:

1) Returned to my Jeep after it had been sitting in a parking structure for about 1.5 hours. Nice weather, no cold/high extremes (live in Southern California).

2) Entered vehicle, left driver door open, put on seat belt, depressed the brake pedal, and pressed the push button to start the engine (I had the key fob in my hand). Other than the 'no key fob detected' message on the driver's side readout display, there was no response. I tried a few more times, and got the same message each time (only difference was the brake pedal became stiffer to depress with each try, as one would expect). If you're wondering why I hadn't closed the door, I was just going to let the engine warm up. Putting on my seat belt was an unconscious move, I'm just muscle-memoried on it.

3) I tried closing the door, re-opening it and re-closing it, and pressing the brake pedal more firmly, all in sequential attempts, but nothing happened until the 6th or 7th try. At that point, it fired up, and all was normal.

Note: It occurred to me that in my cabin, I still have a spare key fob from my 2017 Mazda that I owned before getting my Jeep... any thoughts on if there could have been some type of interference caused by its presence?

I love the JL's slightly bigger size, and the minor cosmetic changes, but I can't help but think the smarter move would have been to buy a 2018 JK as that platform was likely as bug-free as one could ask for after so many years of production. Anyway, this didn't have any impact on my day. However, if I'd been in a more remote setting, and alone, I'd have been a little more discomforted by it.

Eric

WWRuby_Svi

If it’s a batter issue in the key fob, I believe you should be able to hold to fob right next to the start button and still work, at this point I think it is working off of rfid.

I’m not sure what the safety features are to start the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Isolate the problem. Push the start button with the fob itself. If the Jeep won’t start, there is a problem with the fob.

WWRuby_Svi

The wranglers have a pop out key but that’s for the doors. If the fob battery is dead the push start will still work if you hold the fob right next to the push start, it uses rifd for this, just like many businesses uses for door entry, swiping a key fob. Rifd doesn’t use battery on the fob side.

AlexJL

Isolate the problem. Push the start button with the fob itself. If the Jeep won’t start, there is a problem with the fob.

That is exactly right ! It might be also Immobilizer ...
1-Behind the push button located your antenna ( immobilizer ) which will read the transporter ( chip ) that inside your PROX- "KEY" even if the PROX battery is dead ,you just need to touch it with the PROX and it'll start .

2- I would also try to put it in to the cup holder slot ( it supposed to be the programming slot ) .

3- Last think you can try is a hard reset but only if it will continue with the problem , ( disconnect the negative and positive terminals and short them up for 20 seconds it'll delete the error codes ) SHORT ONLY THE TERMINALS WHEN THEY ARE NOT TOUCHING THE BATTERY .

In general there in no interference between different keys as they work on a different frequencies and programmed directly to the engine control unit module . The only interference that might occur is during the programming which is not the case ...

13_gecko_rubi

That is exactly right ! It might be also Immobilizer ...
1-Behind the push button located your antenna ( immobilizer ) which will read the transporter ( chip ) that inside your PROX- "KEY" even if the PROX battery is dead ,you just need to touch it with the PROX and it'll start .

2- I would also try to put it in to the cup holder slot ( it supposed to be the programming slot ) .

3- Last think you can try is a hard reset but only if it will continue with the problem , ( disconnect the negative and positive terminals and short them up for 20 seconds it'll delete the error codes ) SHORT ONLY THE TERMINALS WHEN THEY ARE NOT TOUCHING THE BATTERY .

In general there in no interference between different keys as they work on a different frequencies and programmed directly to the engine control unit module . The only interference that might occur is during the programming which is not the case ...
If anyone tries to do this hard reset by touching battery leads together for anything MAKE SURE YOU PULL BOTH BATTERY LEADS. If you leave the aux battery connected and touch the two main battery terminals together you will dead short the aux battery (it is in parallel with main battery) and fry the leads and/or blow the 150/200 amp main fuses.

Sent via....

Rubyone

Got stranded last night because my JLU would not start. After numerous tries I gave up and called for a tow. Kept trying to start it and eventually it did start after sitting for nearly an hour. Prior to the tow truck showing up so I cancelled it. I drove the jeep about two block and had to stop for a red light. Jeep went into the auto stop mode and ended up stranded once agin. Should have turned off the damn auto stop but wasn't thinking. Once again was parked this time in the intersection for about another hour. Finally after restarting I drive it straight back to the dealer. These issues started at about 10:30 last night. Got home at 3:30 this morning and ready to call the dealer. Not a very happy Jeeper at the moment. Tried all the steps but removing the battery cables with no success.

Sent from my VS501 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Rubyone

Got stranded last night because my JLU would not start. After numerous tries I gave up and called for a tow. Kept trying to start it and eventually it did start after sitting for nearly an hour. Prior to the tow truck showing up so I cancelled it. I drove the jeep about two block and had to stop for a red light. Jeep went into the auto stop mode and ended up stranded once agin. Should have turned off the damn auto stop but wasn't thinking. Once again was parked this time in the intersection for about another hour. Finally after restarting I drive it straight back to the dealer. These issues started at about 10:30 last night. Got home at 3:30 this morning and ready to call the dealer. Not a very happy Jeeper at the moment. Tried all the steps but removing the battery cables with no success.

Talked to dealer today and was told this is the first that they have heard about this issue. Of course I am currently without a vehicle to drive now because they didn't have a loaner while mine is in the shop. Asked me to come in on Monday and they would try to get me one.

WWRuby_Svi

Talked to dealer today and was told this is the first that they have heard about this issue. Of course I am currently without a vehicle to drive now because they didn't have a loaner while mine is in the shop. Asked me to come in on Monday and they would try to get me one.

If they can’t get a vehicle then get ahold of Jeep customer service, might be able to get an enterprise loaner.