Obnoxious fan?

Rubiconchris

So how often is the fan screaming on your JL's? I've been hearing alot of talk about it and people saying its normal. But I think it's going to drive me crazy if it does that all the time. I've heard it on Ed's videos. I've owned ten wranglers and none of them ever sounded like that! Any chance the 6 spd Rubi 2 door I ordered isn't going to do it?

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
So how often is the fan screaming on your JL's? I've been hearing alot of talk about it and people saying its normal. But I think it's going to drive me crazy if it does that all the time. I've heard it on Ed's videos. I've owned ten wranglers and none of them ever sounded like that! Any chance the 6 spd Rubi 2 door I ordered isn't going to do it?

Any time the high speed fan kicks on with most vehicles, it's very loud. I personally haven't driven a JL, but I did notice that in one of Eddie's videos even before he made mention of it. It just happens. There is typically a pre-set temperature between 210F - 220F where the ECT sensor will turn the high speed fan function on. It seems more common on a Jeep because you're at lower speeds (less air flow through radiator) and the cooling system is under a load (low gear, obstacles, hills, carrying extra shit, etc).

Rubiconchris

I've been wheeling all my life. I never had a properly working electric fan scream like that. My JK didn't do it. My ZR2 doesn't do it. And my Buick doesn't either. I refuse to believe it needs to sound like that to work properly. The fan in my peterbilt doesn't sound like that and 80,000 lbs puts quite a strain on a cooling system. If my JL Rubi I ordered screams like that I'm gonna be pissed.

JTCO

Meme King
I've been wheeling all my life. I never had a properly working electric fan scream like that. My JK didn't do it. My ZR2 doesn't do it. And my Buick doesn't either. I refuse to believe it needs to sound like that to work properly. The fan in my peterbilt doesn't sound like that and 80,000 lbs puts quite a strain on a cooling system. If my JL Rubi I ordered screams like that I'm gonna be pissed.

Do you have a video clip of the sound that you're talking about?

CGRDT

Honestly the only time it is real obnoxious to me is when I remote start it after work and I’m walking towards it. I do hear it at a stop light from time to time but it’s not terrible. I have a hardtop might be worse for soft top. But inside driving it - it’s not bothersome to me.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Rubiconchris

Honestly the only time it is real obnoxious to me is when I remote start it after work and I’m walking towards it. I do hear it at a stop light from time to time but it’s not terrible. I have a hardtop might be worse for soft top. But inside driving it - it’s not bothersome to me.

How's the start stop treating you? I'm worried that's going to annoy me to. I know you can shut if off or disconnect it?

JTCO

Meme King
Our JK high speed fan is much louder than most fans I've heard and I used to be a tech. Knowing that the fan engages when it's needed really doesnt bother me regardless of how loud it is.

WWRuby_Svi

I usually drive around with the ac off and the high speed fan almost never kicks on for me. However, I don’t have a lot of sitting around in traffic either.

Now when my wife is riding with me, she likes the ac on with the windows/top down and this has been kicking the fan on quite a bit. At the end of the day, it’s to keep your engine cool and your ac working properly so it doesn’t bother me.

I’ve also been watching my temps through the display and the 8 speed trans runs warmer than the 5 speed in the jk, this might be a reason for so much air flow and thus a loud fan. It’s designed to cool the engine, trans, and ac when pushing the vehicle to the limits in the desert.

JeepFam

Yeah, I have a JLUS and a 17 GC Trailhawk and have noticed it is quite loud on the wrangler. I have found that it is most correlated to my AC but possibly a bunch of other factors as well. If I have it blasting cold air the fan goes crazy and each time I bump the intensity down a notch or 2 the fan seems to adjust accordingly and becomes quieter.

RMC2

The fan is truly obnoxious. It comes on full blast as soon as you start the Jeep if the ac is turned up. Even when the Jeep isn’t hot to start with.

I’ve never heard any vehicle that loud before.

silverbullet88

Yep, only time I ever hear the jet engine is when the a/c is on. Other than that it’s the normal fan even when it’s 100 outside and in traffic. No louder than my JK.