Toledo Jeep plant fire

aug0211

All built turbos are all being scrapped.

Issues with the wiring harness. All the built turbos will be destroyed. Customer orders have been resubmitted by Jeep and will be expedited to the front of the line for new builds with corrected wiring harnesses.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

aug0211

MrGiant

Yeah, it’s a bummer. Glad they caught it so my garage doesn’t catch on fire, though, lol.

Have to decide now whether I want to wait for the second order to be built and shipped, or buy a 3.6 off the lots. Or... wait and order a 2019...

Buying a car fresh at release always has some risk in it, if there is something new coming with it...engineers are only humans, too, so there can be little mistakes with sometimes big effects.
But, since the 3.6 has proven itself this was my choice. I want the JL and the engine to live very long and so durabilty with a lower power/displacement ratio made me order the bigger and less modern engine

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

aug0211

Buying a car fresh at release always has some risk in it, if there is something new coming with it...engineers are only humans, too, so there can be little mistakes with sometimes big effects.
But, since the 3.6 has proven itself this was my choice. I want the JL and the engine to live very long and so durabilty with a lower power/displacement ratio made me order the bigger and less modern engine

The 3.6 is actually still new, right? Sure it’s a 3.6, but it’s tweaked from the JK. And the 2.0 is new to the JL but not new to FCA, right?

That said, I do completely agree with you - the 3.6 is far less risky.

If I weren’t leasing this one, I’d probably have gone for the 3.6 from the start for the reasons you listed.

I am excited about not only the turbo, but also the BSG.

Bummed that I can’t order upgraded gearing from the factory on a Sahara like I did on my JK - to help with 35s. Hopeful that the 8 speed + turbo + BSG help offset the lower gear ratio.

I’d be a bit hesitant to run 35s on the stock non-Rubi gearing without the BSG and turbo. I’d probably go for it on a 19 with the 3.6, assuming they stick with the plan to add BSG to the 3.6 in 19.

aug0211

That sounds like a plan. And a hard decision [emoji3]

Lol oh man, I don’t know what the plan is [emoji28] Dealership I’m working with has an almost exact match to my order on the lot - 3.6 instead of turbo, no soft top (I’m a dual top order), and black leather instead of tan. Everything else is a match.

I am fine with black leather, and the soft top can be added.

The question is... should I wait on the 2.0 or go for the 3.6 right away. I feel blessed to have this problem :)

13_gecko_rubi

The 3.6 is actually still new, right? Sure it’s a 3.6, but it’s tweaked from the JK. And the 2.0 is new to the JL but not new to FCA, right?

That said, I do completely agree with you - the 3.6 is far less risky.

If I weren’t leasing this one, I’d probably have gone for the 3.6 from the start for the reasons you listed.

I am excited about not only the turbo, but also the BSG.

Bummed that I can’t order upgraded gearing from the factory on a Sahara like I did on my JK - to help with 35s. Hopeful that the 8 speed + turbo + BSG help offset the lower gear ratio.

I’d be a bit hesitant to run 35s on the stock non-Rubi gearing without the BSG and turbo. I’d probably go for it on a 19 with the 3.6, assuming they stick with the plan to add BSG to the 3.6 in 19.

The 3.6 is new to Wrangler but this version has been used in the Grand Cherokee for several years now. The 2.0L is new and currently only in the Cherokee and Wrangler.

Sent via....

Last edited: