Hateful Hinge Bolts - Advice Wanted

redsyphon

So, I got two Kargo Master Door Steps in that I am fitting to the rear doors on my JLU Sport.

Working on the first upper hinge bolt, it took some effort but eventually came loose.

Moving on to the second bolt on the upper hinge (drivers side btw) I have not been able to get it to budge.

20180516_182521.jpg

Methods tried:
1. Normal socket + T50: this ran a danger of breaking the stock Jeep wrench so I used a step up to a 1/2 socket wrench. Still no go.

2. Big wrench plus steel pipe for leverage... no go. This ended up breaking the step up bit at the weld!

3. Impact wrench. This ended up bending the impact extension for the T50.

4. Big torque drill (image below), this ended up applying enough torque to unscrew the primary head of the drill hahaha!

20180516_182515.jpg

At this point I'm sort of at a loss as I have never encountered a bolt this stubborn... any ideas on what to do next?

My best idea is to take it to a shop and hit the hinges one by one to get them loosened.

Thanks in advance.

Blue Skies,
James

Last edited:
Try a step ladder lol. It doesn’t appear you’re getting it out. You can’t use a torch & anymore torque you’ll likely snap the bolt and/or ruin the door.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, totally sucks. At this point and time, it does look like you're gonna have to drill it out.