Lift for JLU Sport S

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to run 35's with a 2" lift as mentioned but if it were me, I'd personally recommend the Mopar kit over the one you're looking at. Mopar has spend a lot of time developing a lift kit that will provide the right amount of lift and offer the best ride you can get on a JL Wrangler. Unless things have changed, Skyjacker isn't always known for the best quality parts and if anything, on their JK kits, have been known to have coils to sag big time. I have personally seen this.

Tellico

I am personally waiting for teraflex. I want to raise mine about 3" and have 35" tires. Due to the muddy and soft sand here FL, I think this is my best option. What do you guys think?

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

If you’re looking for more lift, yes, 3” is better than 2.5” 😊

Is your JL a sport model? 35s should fit nicely under a 3” lift if so. In my opinion, 35s look too small under Rubicons with 2.5” of lift. That’s obviously just one opinion, but it’s the only one I got! Check the specs for whatever tire you go with because actual tire diameter can be quite different across manufacturers and products of a tire advertised as “35 inch”.

Hope that helps.

happygil78

If you’re looking for more lift, yes, 3” is better than 2.5” [emoji4]

Is your JL a sport model? 35s should fit nicely under a 3” lift if so. In my opinion, 35s look too small under Rubicons with 2.5” of lift. That’s obviously just one opinion, but it’s the only one I got! Check the specs for whatever tire you go with because actual tire diameter can be quite different across manufacturers and products of a tire advertised as “35 inch”.

Hope that helps.
Yes mine is a JL Sport S. Another reason I want to go 3" is so I can try to keep my fenders. I like the JLs alot more than the JK fenders.

happygil78

I don't know what to believe myself... It's very frustrating.
That's why I tend to lean towards my friends, club members and forums. I know everyone has there own personal preferences. I know guys that swear by Metal Cloak, Rock Krawler, Teraflex and others. I figured I would just try the teraflex out on my wife's JK before I make a solid comment for my JL. I know several people that have the falcon shocks and love them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Who would you recommend then? I have heard good and bad things about all companies out there.

Just to point out a few reasons to skip TeraFlex...

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/5169-TeraFlex-Front-Track-Bar-Breaks
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/4743-TeraFlex-Long-Arm-Bracket-Break

These are things that I have personally seen and or experienced.

That's why I tend to lean towards my friends, club members and forums. I know everyone has there own personal preferences. I know guys that swear by Metal Cloak, Rock Krawler, Teraflex and others. I figured I would just try the teraflex out on my wife's JK before I make a solid comment for my JL. I know several people that have the falcon shocks and love them.

Clearly, the people you know aren't using them very hard.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/50673-Falcon-shock

happygil78

I couldn't look at the pic of the Falcon Shock. I would like to see that picture. I am not saying anyone is wrong here. Please don't take it that I am trying to be disrespectful but what would be a good lift kit? You can find faults in everyone's work. It is actually normal for companies to have a 10% failure rate.

I am trying to find a kit that is better for running in mud and soft sand. I am not looking to crawling up and down rocks. It needs to be at least a 3" lift. Not looking to break the bank but I am not looking for the cheapest thing out there. It needs to have good highway performance due to being a daily driver and able to handle off roading 3-4 times a month. Sometimes more during the summer time. Something I can do myself and not needing a professional. Any ideas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't look at the pic of the Falcon Shock. I would like to see that picture.

It's a broken bar pin. Something that I've only ever seen on their outstanding shock.

Here's another wonderful review of the awesome Falcon shock.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...olated-cases?p=1037484&viewfull=1#post1037484

In spite of what you might choose to believe, I can't make this stuff up.

I am not saying anyone is wrong here. Please don't take it that I am trying to be disrespectful but what would be a good lift kit?

Assuming you aren't wanting a coil spacer lift, I'd highly recommend that you WAIT until at least the end of the year before pulling the trigger on anything. Trust me, by SEMA, there will be a LOT more options available and from MUCH better companies.

You can find faults in everyone's work.

If you're speaking from personal experience or from what you've personally seen, please point them out and include pics. I can for companies like TeraFlex but can't for others.

It is actually normal for companies to have a 10% failure rate.

Not sure where you came up with this number but if that's true, companies like TeraFlex are way above that number when compared to other companies. Or at least, from what I've personally seen. I should note that I have personally run their products in the past and have seen the failures for myself. But hey, that's just me.

I am trying to find a kit that is better for running in mud and soft sand. I am not looking to crawling up and down rocks. It needs to be at least a 3" lift. Not looking to break the bank but I am not looking for the cheapest thing out there. It needs to have good highway performance due to being a daily driver and able to handle off roading 3-4 times a month. Sometimes more during the summer time. Something I can do myself and not needing a professional. Any ideas?

How big of a tire are you wanting to run? I'm clearing 37's just fine with just 2.5" of lift. Also, if you're hell bent on going 3" or more (you said "at least" so I assume more is what you're wanting), there's more that you'll need to do to make it work well than ANY kit I've seen so far.

happygil78

It's a broken bar pin. Something that I've only ever seen on their outstanding shock.

Here's another wonderful review of the awesome Falcon shock.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...olated-cases?p=1037484&viewfull=1#post1037484

In spite of what you might choose to believe, I can't make this stuff up.

Assuming you aren't wanting a coil spacer lift, I'd highly recommend that you WAIT until at least the end of the year before pulling the trigger on anything. Trust me, by SEMA, there will be a LOT more options available and from MUCH better companies.

If you're speaking from personal experience or from what you've personally seen, please point them out and include pics. I can for companies like TeraFlex but can't for others.

Not sure where you came up with this number but if that's true, companies like TeraFlex are way above that number when compared to other companies. Or at least, from what I've personally seen. I should note that I have personally run their products in the past and have seen the failures for myself. But hey, that's just me.

How big of a tire are you wanting to run? I'm clearing 37's just fine with just 2.5" of lift. Also, if you're hell bent on going 3" or more (you said "at least" so I assume more is what you're wanting), there's more that you'll need to do to make it work well than ANY kit I've seen so far.
For my JLU Sport S, I want to keep my fenders and run 35" tires. I just learned for my area with my wife's JKU 3" lift is good. What would you recommend for 3" lift with 35" tires for a JKU? I know you have a ton of experience with JKUs

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For my JLU Sport S, I want to keep my fenders and run 35" tires. I just learned for my area with my wife's JKU 3" lift is good. What would you recommend for 3" lift with 35" tires for a JKU? I know you have a ton of experience with JKUs

From my experience running both a JK and JL now, what I can tell you is that the JK is no JL. Even on a Sport S, the fender wells are much BIGGER than a JK and unless you're wanting that 1980's sky high look, 2" of lift should be all you need to clear 35" tires. A lower center of gravity is something you want on a Jeep or at least, if you plan on using it for what it was made for. If you're not wanting to run coil spacers, Mopar AND Rancho both have a great kit out right now that'll give you what you're looking for.

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...nsion-system-is-here-for-the-Rubicon-platform!

With all that said, it should be noted that MOST coil lift kits on a JKU yield WAY MORE LIFT than what is advertised. On something like a TeraFlex lift, their 3" coils yielded well over 4" of actual lift and that is WAY TOO MUCH for just a set of 35's. EVO Plush Ride coils are about the only ones that I've personally tested that offered up a TRUE 3" of lift.

happygil78

From my experience running both a JK and JL now, what I can tell you is that the JK is no JL. Even on a Sport S, the fender wells are much BIGGER than a JK and unless you're wanting that 1980's sky high look, 2" of lift should be all you need to clear 35" tires. A lower center of gravity is something you want on a Jeep or at least, if you plan on using it for what it was made for. If you're not wanting to run coil spacers, Mopar AND Rancho both have a great kit out right now that'll give you what you're looking for.

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...nsion-system-is-here-for-the-Rubicon-platform!

With all that said, it should be noted that MOST coil lift kits on a JKU yield WAY MORE LIFT than what is advertised. On something like a TeraFlex lift, their 3" coils yielded well over 4" of actual lift and that is WAY TOO MUCH for just a set of 35's. EVO Plush Ride coils are about the only ones that I've personally tested that offered up a TRUE 3" of lift.
Thank you Eddie. I will be waiting to lift my JL. I would like to see what the market comes out with for it and hear what the opinions are on them. Besides, I need to finish the wife's JK first. Other than EVO, is there another brands you would recommend for JKs?

Thank you for the help.