Switch Bank inoperative for 30 seconds when engine is started

JeepFan

2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Switch Bank inoperative for 30 seconds when engine is started

Lately our JL switch bank is intermittently non functional for approximately 30 seconds when the engine is started.

In other words, none of the switches in the switch bank will function for 30 seconds when the engine is started. This happens 7 out of 10 start ups.

Today, the switch bank was totally inoperable after the engine was started and the infotainment screen was blue.

After shutting off the engine, and starting back up, everything worked as expected.

Anyone run into this issue.

20180508_180709.jpgBluescreen.jpg

Last edited:

JeepFan

:eek: Whoa, really?? Or, are you just kidding :crazyeyes:
Dead serious. Wait 30 days to get it looked at...if the dealer says no problem found or they have to tear the dash a apart to diagnose, they can buy it back or I'll trade it in. Hopefully its something simple.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dead serious. Wait 30 days to get it looked at...if the dealer says no problem found or they have to tear the dash a apart to diagnose, they can buy it back or I'll trade it in. Hopefully its something simple.

Have you tried contacting Jeep Cares here on the forum?

JTCO

Meme King
Hope it's just a software reprogram or something simple. Why the 30 day wait to look at it?

JeepFan

Hope it's just a software reprogram or something simple. Why the 30 day wait to look at it?

I hope it's something simple too! The dealer is so busy, it usually takes about 30 days to get an appointment for warranty repairs. I plan to call them this morning to see when I can bring it in. I'll update this thread when I get an appointment date. :crazyeyes:

sharkey

Word Ninja

Damn Tony, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. I have actually been considering pulling the trigger on a JLUR at the end of the year (instead of waiting for the JT) but you have me rethinking that decision. Knowing you, you wouldn't be considering getting rid of it unless you were having some real issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn Tony, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. I have actually been considering pulling the trigger on a JLUR at the end of the year (instead of waiting for the JT) but you have me rethinking that decision. Knowing you, you wouldn't be considering getting rid of it unless you were having some real issues.

To the best of my knowledge, the problem is limited to the infotainment system and not a system wide problem. A bummer for sure but far from being something that'd prevent me from getting a JL or getting rid of mine. I'm sure this is a fixable problem.

JeepFan

I would think by the time the JT is release, FCA will have corrected most of the quality issues. Considering to get of rid of the JL would be a last resort decision I would rather avoid. We shall see if it gets fixed.

To the best of my knowledge, the problem is limited to the infotainment system and not a system wide problem. A bummer for sure but far from being something that'd prevent me from getting a JL or getting rid of mine. I'm sure this is a fixable problem.

I totally understand what you're saying and would agree with you that this issue is hardly one that would warrant taking a huge hit in the pocket book to sell or trade-in the JL. However, if I knew back when I ordered the JL what I know now, I would have waited a year before buying one. Not just because of the infotainment system and switch bank, but because of the following short list of quality/design issues I have experienced.

Quality Issues:
1. Welding spatter on the entire frame.
2. Rust in many of the frame welds.
3. Corrosion/road salt on just about every drive-line component.
4. Intermittent clunk sound from the rear diff when shifting from park to reverse. It did this from day one when it was stock....
5. Rear wiper washer leaking.

Design Issues:
1. Stop/Start enough said!
2. Navigation/Uconnect/weather alerts. While these systems are somewhat of an improvement over previous systems, they are not user friendly and function poorly at best. I can provide many examples of what's good and bad about this system.
3. Governor or Traction Control engaging while operating the JL in 4-low and auto trans mode climbing a steep water fall. :crazyeyes:

I know this sounds like I have buyers remorse but, I'm only sharing my experiences so far with the JL. I actually love what Jeep did with the JL; it's a huge improvement over the JK. :thumb:

I've been around Jeep most of my life and even worked at 2 Jeep dealers back in the day; so I know stuff. LOL! ;)

JeepFan

Hey, just to clarify, the switch bank I am referring to is the one that controls the Radio Power, Radio Tune/Scroll, A/C/Heat, Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Defrosters, Mute, Screen Off, Hill Decent, etc...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, just to clarify, the switch bank I am referring to is the one that controls the Radio Power, Radio Tune/Scroll, A/C/Heat, Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Defrosters, Mute, Screen Off, Hill Decent, etc...

I'm pretty sure the two are tied together. Also, there's a guy on here who was having shifting issues as well as radio issues and both were fixed with a software update.

JeepFan

I'm pretty sure the two are tied together. Also, there's a guy on here who was having shifting issues as well as radio issues and both were fixed with a software update.

Software update!? Well, that's encouraging. Left a message with my dealer to make an appointment, still waiting for a call back. LOL! :doh:

NFRs2000NYC

Its most likely a firmware issue. FCA has always had firmware issues with the UCONNECT systems, even my dads diesel GC had an issue where the unit would freeze on occasion, and the firmware fixed it. Just like Android or IOS, these new software heavy systems have bugs, and they do get ironed out with time. I think it's a bit much to dump the Jeep because it's a problem that does get fixed, but of course, to each their own.

NFRs2000NYC

Sadly the negative of having everything heavily computerized. I know someone that brought their BMW 7 series in for a tint job (all the computers are located under the rear window deck) and when he brought the car to get tinted, they soaked to back window to apply the tint, and the runoff liquid fried all the computers, causing $27000 in damage. I also know someone with a Range Rover that wouldn't start, and it turned out to be 1 faulty circuit on a board, and it immobilized the entire vehicle. Unfortunately that's the state of the automotive industry these days.