lift vs tire size clarity questions

draykas

I have a 2018 JL Rubicon and seen a lot of post and little confused on what is required to run 35 vs 37. I do understand that not ever tire is same height and varies by tire or manufacture. I usually look at specs and get true dimensions. I have heard that need a 2" lift to run a 35 tire yet see post and videos where a 2.5 lift allows for 37 Tire. Yes I will be taking offroad and flexing it as this is a jeep! LOL. what I have seen in regards to videos or pics for lifts and tire sizes:

2.5 EVO 37x13.5x17 wonder who that is

2 Rough country 37x12.5x17

But I have also seen comments and notes that must have 2 " to run 35. I understand will have to work and remove rear bumper guard on inner fender liner. Good video and explanation on Youtube

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With enough bump stop extension, you could probably make 37's work with just 2" of lift but really, I don't think it'd be worth it. With that said, you can run 35's stock on a Rubicon but if you plan on flexing out, you'd again need taller bump stop extensions.

draykas

clarity

That makes sense will have to weigh pros and cons as was looking at rough country 2 " spacer kit trying to keep close to stock and low CG as possible but dont want to give up flex. 1/2 makes big difference LOL. I appreciate your feedback

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That makes sense will have to weigh pros and cons as was looking at rough country 2 " spacer kit trying to keep close to stock and low CG as possible but dont want to give up flex. 1/2 makes big difference LOL. I appreciate your feedback

I'm gonna assume you've seen it but for those who haven't, the following is a video we made that shows what all you'll rub with 37's and 2.5" of lift.

2.5" really is as low as you can go without adding taller bump stop extensions, removing the fender liners and/or doing more trimming. With that being said, that's pretty damn low especially compared to what it took to run 37's on a JK or a TJ before.

draykas

Yes I have seen it and it has inspiration to what I want to do thanks to you and Cindy for all the nice videos and posts

draykas

I'm gonna assume you've seen it but for those who haven't, the following is a video we made that shows what all you'll rub with 37's and 2.5" of lift.

2.5" really is as low as you can go without adding taller bump stop extensions, removing the fender liners and/or doing more trimming. With that being said, that's pretty damn low especially compared to what it took to run 37's on a JK or a TJ before.

Well thank you for all the good helpful info. I pulled trigger and ordered the rough country 2.5 lift and 37x12.50x17 cooper stt pro tires. should be here by friday. yes it will mimic and look pretty close to Jet Li.

thanks again and happy wheeling

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well thank you for all the good helpful info. I pulled trigger and ordered the rough country 2.5 lift and 37x12.50x17 cooper stt pro tires. should be here by friday. yes it will mimic and look pretty close to Jet Li.

thanks again and happy wheeling

Glad to hear we could be of help to you :cool:

JLSahara

My shop installed the EVO boost 2.5 kit on my Sahara today.

Then when they tried to put On 35x12.5r18’s with Pro Comp 18x9 5BS and 0 offset, we ran into a problem.... unfortunately a 5BS with that wheel caused the tire to hit the trackbar (I think that’s what he said).... Had to buy a different set with 4.5BS.

And here I thought I had everything researched before going into the shop.

P.S. thank you all for the help on choosing a lift kit, wheels and tires...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My shop installed the EVO boost 2.5 kit on my Sahara today.

Then when they tried to put On 35x12.5r18’s with Pro Comp 18x9 5BS and 0 offset, we ran into a problem.... unfortunately a 5BS with that wheel caused the tire to hit the trackbar (I think that’s what he said).... Had to buy a different set with 4.5BS.

And here I thought I had everything researched before going into the shop.

P.S. thank you all for the help on choosing a lift kit, wheels and tires...

Your tires would have made contact with the rear "sway bar", not "track bar". Of course, this was only a problem being that your Sahara axles are a bit narrower than a Rubicon. Glad to hear you were able to get things to work though.

JLSahara

I knew I had something wrong. Wish I knew in advance since now I gotta fight with 4WD to take these Pro Comps back, unless anyone wants to buy some Pro Comp 18x9 34’s (shameless pitch)