Tazer JL or Jeep Flashcal for JL Wrangler?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run Flashcals on my JK's in the past and even use one on my Duramax. They're a good unit but I personally think the new Tazer JL is a much better solution and one that comes with a TON more options. Also, they are supporters of this forum. :yup:

tobyw

The one thing that jumped out at me in reading the Flashcal literature, is that they have only TPMS on/off versus the Tazer being able to set the threshold where you want it? Maybe I'm not reading that correctly? I also like what I've read about the Tazer being able to ramp up RPM during winching.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The one thing that jumped out at me in reading the Flashcal literature, is that they have only TPMS on/off versus the Tazer being able to set the threshold where you want it? Maybe I'm not reading that correctly? I also like what I've read about the Tazer being able to ramp up RPM during winching.

The Tazer JL can do that and a LOT more. Like I said, I've owned and still own Flashcals but the Tazer JL is a superior product especially being that it has LIVE functions too. :yup:

RMC2

The Tazer JL can do that and a LOT more. Like I said, I've owned and still own Flashcals but the Tazer JL is a superior product especially being that it has LIVE functions too. :yup:

I need to order a Tazer JL. Good to hear you are liking it. Does it make any transmission adjustments other than correcting for tire size?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I need to order a Tazer JL. Good to hear you are liking it. Does it make any transmission adjustments other than correcting for tire size?

While I know some of the programmers that Z Automotive makes do allow for changes to be made to the transmission, the Tazer JL does not or at least, not at this time.

BillArnett

Not specifically. But it does allow you to change the differential gear ratio.

13_gecko_rubi

I don't think you will see many if any "transmission" type tuners for awhile if ever. The 8 speeds aren't like old trans. Older trans have maybe 1-3 tables based on operating conditions of the vehicle. The 8 speed has over 60 different "tunes" internally based on everything from speed to temperature, load (towing), sensed weight in vehicle, driver profile (yes it learns how you drive), the amount of sunlight currently available in the 2 sq mile area west of the South pole (ok so that's not right) but it is crazy complicated so trying to adjust those tables is not easy and with so many you really don't see a huge benefit anyway.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you will see many if any "transmission" type tuners for awhile if ever. The 8 speeds aren't like old trans. Older trans have maybe 1-3 tables based on operating conditions of the vehicle. The 8 speed has over 60 different "tunes" internally based on everything from speed to temperature, load (towing), sensed weight in vehicle, driver profile (yes it learns how you drive), the amount of sunlight currently available in the 2 sq mile area west of the South pole (ok so that's not right) but it is crazy complicated so trying to adjust those tables is not easy and with so many you really don't see a huge benefit anyway.

Sent via....

What?? And here I was thinking how awesome it was that the amount of sunlight currently available in the 2 sq mile area west of the South pole was making such a big difference! :crazyeyes: :D

RMC2

Sent via....

I thought it was 2 1/2 sq miles.

Does the Jeep service department tire size adjustment make any adjustments to transmission tune? It kind of sounds like it is already built into the existing tables and therefore not needed for any tuners.

As you know, I’m a little sensitive on the transmission front. But I pick up the JL on Saturday. Woohoo.

13_gecko_rubi

I thought it was 2 1/2 sq miles.

Does the Jeep service department tire size adjustment make any adjustments to transmission tune? It kind of sounds like it is already built into the existing tables and therefore not needed for any tuners.

As you know, I’m a little sensitive on the transmission front. But I pick up the JL on Saturday. Woohoo.
The transmission uses vehicle speed ever so slightly to adjust calibration etc but not kuch since it has an output speed sensor. The main effect of tire size is Speedo accuracy. Gears and tire size have some small input to shift schedules so you should have them updated but it isn't a huge change.

Sent via....

RMC2

The transmission uses vehicle speed ever so slightly to adjust calibration etc but not kuch since it has an output speed sensor. The main effect of tire size is Speedo accuracy. Gears and tire size have some small input to shift schedules so you should have them updated but it isn't a huge change.

Sent via....

Aside from the extra features of the Tazer, which are desirable, would a service department tire size adjustment be money well spent/advisable versus just the Tazer?

Z_Auto

Advertiser
Supporter
Will the Tazer flash my auxiliary switches that I installed? (factory kit)

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Of course it can!

New update 11.0.2 is going live tomorrow. I added the ability to turn on, and keep on, the backup camera and cargo cam inputs at any speed. Watch that trailer for the whole trip if you want. Or a front cam like I added to mine. I’ll be offering the cargo cam input cable and even a front/trail cam in the coming weeks.

Also added the ability to turn off the halo’s as some asked...
And a setting for front turns as LEDs for those that switched.

As you know, I’m not done here. Not even close. Just got started...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of course it can!

New update 11.0.2 is going live tomorrow. I added the ability to turn on, and keep on, the backup camera and cargo cam inputs at any speed. Watch that trailer for the whole trip if you want. Or a front cam like I added to mine. I’ll be offering the cargo cam input cable and even a front/trail cam in the coming weeks.

Also added the ability to turn off the halo’s as some asked...
And a setting for front turns as LEDs for those that switched.

As you know, I’m not done here. Not even close. Just got started...

WooHoo!! That is so awesome :thumb: