JL sport s build

AZ EXPLORER

Joining here now that I got a JL yesterday. Been a Wayalifer for a while and am there still too. The new rig is a Sport S. My wife and I took a overnight trip to Tucson from Phoenix and back, about 240 miles.
I can say the JL is great and I am glad to be in it. I will likely do the Mopar 2 inch lift and 35 inch tires, not sure what brand yet. Leaning toward Nitto Ridge Grapplers but not comitted yet.
Starting it's own slow build thread to track what I do to it over time. Not going to be as crazy as the JK, but I hope still cool and functional.
Got some ideas for some small things right off. First is removing the gap guards between the fenders and bumpers.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well congrats to you and welcome to JLWRANGLER! It's great to have you here and your JL Sport is looking great :thumb:

AZ EXPLORER

Thanks! The JL is surprising improvement over the JK. Looking forward to mods as well as seeing others build up theirs.

AZ EXPLORER

First mod

Took a couple of minutes to remove the little euro flaps between the flares and the bumper and the lower bumper skid.
I think it looks a lot better and more like normal jeep styling. Best part was the cost... free.

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

AZ EXPLORER

Emblems

Got new Rubicon style emblems on today and replaced the chrome ones. Also debadged the decals from below them. Here is a before and after.
I have Wrangler decals coming in medium grey with red trim and those are in the lettering style of the Rubicon.
I will add my JL decals from Eddie when they show up, I ordered them in red and white.
I have LOD signiture sliders on order and they should arrive in two weeks or so. After that I should be satisfied for a bit. I want to wait and see what the venders come up with before I make too many plans.

The old
17BB9417-2F49-4D09-8EF8-D5ED392E5D49.jpg

The new
IMG_0482.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
New emblem looks good. Wise move waiting for awhile to see what comes out for mods. The LoD signature sliders are a damn good product.

YAHAHA

I really like the way that cleaned up the front bumper look. Nice job.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

AZ EXPLORER

2nd mod

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!
The 2nd mod and very first product is my repping decals. A small thing but getting many compliments when people see them.
They really stand out against the Granite Crystal. If you haven't bought yours yet, get some. Small price, big impact.
They are also somehow bigger than I thought they would be and fill that space perfectly!

IMG_0484.jpg

AZ EXPLORER

The UNWANTED Mod

Less than 1500 miles and I already need a new windshield. Apparently, the extra lean on the windshield frame does not improve the aerodynamics enough to lessen rock chip incidents.

My irritated and non-scientific opinion aside, the bigger hassle is none of the glass places have it yet because it is so new. They have to order it directly from a dealership.

This will take somewhere between 5 days and two weeks. After it comes in, then I can set an appointment.

It's not the end of the world, but I did want to take it to California to see some family this weekend, but it's a pain to look out of because the crack is right in the line of sight.

I keep getting blinded when the sun hits it just right or when it's dark and headlights glare across it. Looks like we take the wife's family truckster instead. :(

In better news, my LOD sliders are showing a delivery date of Thursday from FedEx. So, sweet!

IMG_0487.jpg

AZ EXPLORER

LOD sliders

The LOD sliders came today. Packaged very nicely and in perfect condition. Super easy install, less than an hour.

There are still 3 holes I need to drill, but these things are very solid as is. For street use, you don't even need the extra holes. It will easily hold the weight of a big boy.

Other than the extra holes it's an easy bolt on and they are a bit different than the JK ones install wise.

I would highly recommend to anyone and definitely do the powdercoat if you want it in black. It looks really good and no one else is going to be able to do it for only $20 extra dollars.

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

Seflinator

Hey AZ. Nice adds and looking good! I have pretty much the same rig w/6 speed manual. Always had an affinity for Manual but this is my first Jeep. Looking forward to following your upgrades. I doubt I’ll do much crawling so I just got step sides. Should be here tomorrow. I’ll post after I put them on. I want to upgrade wheels and tires. I want 17 wheels with yet-to-be determined offset and 35 MT. Want the wheels to match the crystal granite color. Still haven’t picked either. I believe we can go 35 w/o lifting and hope to do that until I can afford a decent lift. I may do a budget boost to get by until then. Any thoughts on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jlusahara

Too bad you are quite far, I would have bought the euro caps off you.

I wonder if they can be purchased from the parts dept.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

AZ EXPLORER

Hey AZ. Nice adds and looking good! I have pretty much the same rig w/6 speed manual. Always had an affinity for Manual but this is my first Jeep. Looking forward to following your upgrades. I doubt I’ll do much crawling so I just got step sides. Should be here tomorrow. I’ll post after I put them on. I want to upgrade wheels and tires. I want 17 wheels with yet-to-be determined offset and 35 MT. Want the wheels to match the crystal granite color. Still haven’t picked either. I believe we can go 35 w/o lifting and hope to do that until I can afford a decent lift. I may do a budget boost to get by until then. Any thoughts on yours?

Will likely do the 2 inch Mopar lift with 35's Thinking Ridge Grapplers but not sure. Still trying to figure out wheels as well.

BTW mines a daily driver with HOPEFULLY a fair amount of light to medium off-road this summer. Going to a Jeep rally in two weeks here on wisconsin. First one. Psyched.

It will be a blast, no doubt!

Too bad you are quite far, I would have bought the euro caps off you.

I wonder if they can be purchased from the parts dept.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

Yes they are available at your Jeep dealer.

AZ EXPLORER

Bestop

This is at the top of my list when it comes out this fall. Loved the fast back on my JK (and my original CJ). This is even nicer.

The video shows that the Sunrider portion is better and the rear panels go on and off really easy. Bestop makes great stuff.

May do the soft half doors and uppers too for top down weather. They look good as well, though not much different than the JK ones.

IMG_0867.jpg