2017 Aluminum Jeep JL Wrangler - Pick-Up Being Shelved

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read the following article on AllPar and I have to say that it looks real likely that we will be getting an aluminum Wrangler in 2018. Unfortunately, I was wondering why the new Pick-Up was nowhere to be found on the 5 year plan that Mr. Marchionne put out the other day and, it's looks like it might be getting shelved. Or, at least for now. Check it out....

Aluminum Wrangler, Jeep Pickup?
Automotive News’ Larry Vellequette quoted Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne answering two different questions in a way that points to extensive use on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler (to be produced starting in calendar-year 2017, according to the latest Five Year Plan). In one question, about whether he could think of a better use for aluminum than Wrangler, Mr. Marchionne answered, “No,” indicating that Wrangler was the best use for aluminum. He said at another time yesterday that FCA would be ready to produce aluminum vehicles in 2017, the same year Wrangler (but also probably at least one Alfa Romeo) enters production.

2017-jeep-wrangler.jpg

Adding weight, so to speak, to the argument were two slides, used by two different presenters, discussing the importance of weight in meeting carbon dioxide requirements and increasing city gas mileage. Weight is the primary contributor to differences in city-cycle gas mileage, which is currently where Chrysler (and many other manufacturers) are having their greatest economy challenges. Highway mileage, which is influenced by gearing and aerodynamics more than weight, according to the slides, has been addressed by Chrysler and others, but weight has continued to grow as customers get used to top safety ratings, huge wheels, powerful stereos, and silent interiors.

As for the Gladiator — the Jeep Wrangler-based pickup, that is — it did not appear in the Five Year Plan at all, but Mr. Marchionne indicated that if demand for it continued to be strong, it could be made. Many observers have noted that it is unlikely to appear at all until the plant is re-built for the 2018 Wranglers.

Article found on AllPar:
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/05/aluminum-wrangler-jeep-pickup

vgullotta

I like the idea of an aluminum Jeep. Im sure there are other issues, but rust won't be one of them. At least on the body..

I like the idea of the aluminum body, too. Gas mileage and rusty bodies are two major issues Jeeps have been plagued with over the years. I'll be sad if they don't put out a JLT pickup, though, I was very much looking forward to that.