Soft Top types

MrGiant

Hi all!

Things are getting close in means of ordering a JLUR soon and I'm having a question about the Premium/Non-Premium Soft Top. With my YJ I have been driving around all year with my soft top and cloth/ pretty thick wire doors, no problems at all and I love it.
So I thought about ordering the new Jeep without HT, so it cannot collect dust and take too much room while standing around.
Jeep offers only little (to about no) info about the standard soft top and so I wonder what might be better on the Premium Top....
Premium offers: zipperless
quieter and more insulated
spring assisted bow mechanism
What does the standard top not have, everything mentioned?
I hope someone knows and can help me decide in this way
Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the standard top is the same in terms of function and the only real difference is in the material it's made out of. The standard will just be like the vinyl fabric that you're probably used to and the premium is made out of twill. I should note that the twill is MUCH nicer.

JTCO

Meme King
If indeed it is the difference between Black Diamond and Twill, definitely get the Twill. We currently have the Black Diamond on our JK and once it gets dirty, it is near impossible to clean.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If indeed it is the difference between Black Diamond and Twill, definitely get the Twill. We currently have the Black Diamond on our JK and once it gets dirty, it is near impossible to clean.

More than just being easier to keep clean, the twill is easier to put on and take off, it's quieter and it's even warmer in the winter time. :yup:

4wd

I am in the same boat as the OP. I live in the northeast, can i get by with just the premium soft top year round? I know you can get both, but if you only could pick one, which would you pick hardtop or premium soft top?

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am in the same boat as the OP. I live in the northeast, can i get by with just the premium soft top year round? I know you can get both, but if you only could pick one, which would you pick hardtop or premium soft top?

Guess it depends on how often you run topless. If you find that you never remove your top or next to never, a hard top is the way to go. Way more convenient to have especially with a rear window that opens up with ease. Me, I love to run topless or at least, with the rear windows out and doors off during the summer so I personally prefer a soft top. The Premium top is super nice and is even great in the winter time.

4wd

Guess it depends on how often you run topless. If you find that you never remove your top or next to never, a hard top is the way to go. Way more convenient to have especially with a rear window that opens up with ease. Me, I love to run topless or at least, with the rear windows out and doors off during the summer so I personally prefer a soft top. The Premium top is super nice and is even great in the winter time.
Thank you for the quick, reply this helps.