CB vs MURS

Taxman

Wondering if anyone uses MURS radios? I've always used a CB for my Jeep when off-roading with Jeep clubs or groups. However, when I bought my Ford Raptor in 2014, all the Raptor folks used MURS business frequency radios. I quickly learned there are 5 license-free 2-watt business frequencies that allow for much greater distances and clearer communication. I ended up buying a $200 Motorola RMM2050 just to run with the Raptor folks a few times a year. Since we tended to go fast offroad, there were often 2 or 3 miles of distance between the lead Raptor and the sweeper on long trails. The MURS radios performed much better than CBs. I'll probably get a CB again for my Jeep just because I think it's more commonly used amongst Jeepers, but just curious whether MURS had caught on to the Jeep community in the past few years.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can't say that I've used a MURS specific radio before but out in SoCal, race radios are all the rage. Basically the same thing but with a lot more channels and ones that you can program. Rugged and PCI are names that you might want to look at.

Taxman

Can't say that I've used a MURS specific radio before but out in SoCal, race radios are all the rage. Basically the same thing but with a lot more channels and ones that you can program. Rugged and PCI are names that you might want to look at.

Thanks. I'll take a look at them.

Taxman

So I took a look at some of the radios from Rugged and PCI. Although some of those radios are really cool, it looks like most of them require an FCC license to operate. In particular all dual band UHF/VHF radios that operate outside of the 5 MURS frequencies and output at more than 2W. It seems from looking through their website that only the comlink-style radios operate within the 5 MURS frequencies of 151.820MHz, 151.880MHz, 151.940MHz, 154.570MHz and 154.600MHz and are limited to an output of 2W max and thus can be operated without a license. Rugged even hides the frequencies at which their radios operate. You need a username and password to access that information.

Many of the dual-band UHF/VHF radios can be programmed to also operate within the MURS frequencies, so maybe the seller restricts the frequencies somehow on those units. Most radios can also control the gain on the output and restrict it to 2W. That's the only way I see this working.

I think I'll just stick to CB and carry around my MURS radio as a backup.

Taxman

I just purchased a Rugged RM25R radio. Haven't installed it yet, but they have excellent reviews.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yeah, that's a nice radio, but it requires an FCC license to operate (HAM radio) unless they restrict the output power to 2W and the frequencies to MURS.

Edit: I just called Rugged and confirmed that most of their radios require an FCC license, except for their CBs and MURS radios that are capped at 2W. They indicated that most off-roaders use them anyways and the FCC hasn't said anything yet (but it's still illegal to operate without a license). They equated their product like fishing gear. They can sell it, but the user is responsible for using it with a license. You may be able to fish without a license, but if you get caught there are fines and penalties.

Last edited:

GrayBeard

For now they do, was told it will be changing in the future. Was also told that they will not enforce licensing unless you abuse it. Thats what they did with CB radios years ago, just before they did away with licensing.

Jeep Jim

I don't know for fact but it sure seemed like the CB radio lost distance in transmitting about the time cell towers started to pop up all over. In close quarters they work, but you would need to have a radio tuned if you wanted to get out a signal if you needed help. Up here in western Canada they run VHF radio's to keep in contact. I have an Icom radio I bought 12 years ago that can have 144 channels programed into it. At this moment I only have 44. Main road channels and several saw mill channels. A few off road ones when I hauled bridge beams to new crossings. The radio will get out 30-40 miles with nothing in the way like hills or buildings. On average your looking at 25-30 miles from the time you first hear the person you know to the point of them fading out behind you. 50-60 minutes of talk time. But they heat up fast. Not like CB that you can talk forever on.

Taxman

The difference with the high power dual band radios on Rugged‘ site is that they use repeater towers to extend their range even where there is no cell phone signal. However, they operate at restricted frequencies that are regulated by the FCC and require a license. What Rubinot says is correct. Eventually I think they’ll open up some frequencies without license, but we’ve been waiting for that for 20 years...MURS is still the best for long range without a license, but you’re capped at 2W and can’t use repeaters.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I'm going to run both a CB and GMRS radio. The GMRS requires a license, unless it is a handheld (mine won't be). However, the license doesn't require a test, just 65 or 70 bucks for 5 or 10 years. (I can't remember which.) Anyway, you can get some pretty incredible distance with the GMRS, even in obstructed areas. Certainly more than a CB. I like the CB, though, because in the midwest, most Jeepers still use CB's and I like it on the highway to talk with truckers.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a good CB antenna mount for the JL. I might fabricate my own for the bolts on the side of the cowling by the hood. I just don't want it where it is out in my vision. A tailgate mount interests me, too, so we'll see.

Funny thing, I thought about a magnetic antenna for the hood area for the GMRS and then realized there's no steel on the hood or cowling, so no go with that idea. Lol!

Flexxxycj

I'm going to run both a CB and GMRS radio. The GMRS requires a license, unless it is a handheld (mine won't be). However, the license doesn't require a test, just 65 or 70 bucks for 5 or 10 years. (I can't remember which.) Anyway, you can get some pretty incredible distance with the GMRS, even in obstructed areas. Certainly more than a CB. I like the CB, though, because in the midwest, most Jeepers still use CB's and I like it on the highway to talk with truckers.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a good CB antenna mount for the JL. I might fabricate my own for the bolts on the side of the cowling by the hood. I just don't want it where it is out in my vision. A tailgate mount interests me, too, so we'll see.

Funny thing, I thought about a magnetic antenna for the hood area for the GMRS and then realized there's no steel on the hood or cowling, so no go with that idea. Lol!
You can lay (adhesive) a piece of flat mild steel under the hood in the place you want to mount it. if it's a good magnet it should hold dependant on the thicknesses, and flatness of the hood...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

GrayBeard

Thanks BillArnert

Does anyone know if the area in the dash/door side panel thru the cowl area still has the pass thru. JKs had a hole filled with foam that could be poked thru to gain access to engine area.

Roadless

It is easy to get the first level amateur radio license. Then you can connect to repeaters and extend your range.

2EURO

Didn’t mean to revive the thread. Probably beat to death already. However, I just wanted to ask why GMRS radios hasn’t taken off?

I hear you have way better range and while you need a license, obtaining one is much easier than getting a HAM radio. You pay like $75/5yrs and your whole family can use it. And best part, no exam.

When I off-road 9yrs ago we used CBs and they did the job. However, when the group got separated it was hard to hear the further guy out. We basically had to relay.

Also never understood HAM licensing. I looked into it and most of the studying was in electrical. I wasn’t expecting that. I was expecting learning the do’s and don’ts in radio etiquette. Boy was I wrong. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app