Transmission issue

offcamber

After watching the most recent Project JL video from Moab, I have to wonder if anyone at Jeep has been contacted regarding the issues with the powertrain when climbing. My fear is that eventually, this is going to cause an accident. We also have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel that has the same transmission as the JL. Last year we took it for our yearly Colorado trails trip. I had the same issues with it. Once while on Poughkeepsie Gulch climbing the wall. Just as I thought I was going to make it, it did exactly what you guys experienced in your JL. The scarier incident though occurred while making one of the really steep switchbacks (I believe on Engineer Pass, but it might have been Cinnamon Pass), we had just turned and started up a switch back and suddenly all power went and I started rolling backwards. Since I had just made the turn, this roll back put me dangerously close to the edge. I wasn't sure what happened so I had my wife get out while I sorted out the issue. I shifted to manual mode and used the paddle shifters to shift and it seemed to be fine that way. At the time I thought it was just a fluke but after seeing the video here, I realize it was the same issue we had in the Grand Cherokee. I haven't experienced it wheeling the JL yet, but I can tell you in the wrong place at the wrong time, it could very well cause someone to have an accident. I hope Jeep does something to address this.

BillArnett

I’m starting to think this isn’t really a transmission issue but rather something to do with the traction control (or whatever FCA calls it, the thing that cuts power when the wheels start to spin). Maybe that’s disabled in manual mode (aka “AutoStick”)??

This would be so easy to figure out if we just had access to the source code :-(

I hope this is just a software bug and not some brain-dead policy decision.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After watching the most recent Project JL video from Moab, I have to wonder if anyone at Jeep has been contacted regarding the issues with the powertrain when climbing. My fear is that eventually, this is going to cause an accident. We also have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel that has the same transmission as the JL. Last year we took it for our yearly Colorado trails trip. I had the same issues with it. Once while on Poughkeepsie Gulch climbing the wall. Just as I thought I was going to make it, it did exactly what you guys experienced in your JL. The scarier incident though occurred while making one of the really steep switchbacks (I believe on Engineer Pass, but it might have been Cinnamon Pass), we had just turned and started up a switch back and suddenly all power went and I started rolling backwards. Since I had just made the turn, this roll back put me dangerously close to the edge. I wasn't sure what happened so I had my wife get out while I sorted out the issue. I shifted to manual mode and used the paddle shifters to shift and it seemed to be fine that way. At the time I thought it was just a fluke but after seeing the video here, I realize it was the same issue we had in the Grand Cherokee. I haven't experienced it wheeling the JL yet, but I can tell you in the wrong place at the wrong time, it could very well cause someone to have an accident. I hope Jeep does something to address this.

I figured that other Jeep models with this same transmission may be having this same issue. I've NEVER had it happen on my JK's regardless if I were in drive or manual. That being said, being in manual is the way to prevent it from happening.

I’m starting to think this isn’t really a transmission issue but rather something to do with the traction control (or whatever FCA calls it, the thing that cuts power when the wheels start to spin). Maybe that’s disabled in manual mode (aka “AutoStick”)??

This would be so easy to figure out if we just had access to the source code :-(

I hope this is just a software bug and not some brain-dead policy decision.

This is NOT a traction control issue. If it were, it would still happen even when shifted in manual mode.

RMC2

I vote that Jeep does a programming update to correct this.

Now that should get some attention focused on the issue. :(

BillArnett

I figured that other Jeep models with this same transmission may be having this same issue. I've NEVER had it happen on my JK's regardless if I were in drive or manual. That being said, being in manual is the way to prevent it from happening.

This is NOT a traction control issue. If it were, it would still happen even when shifted in manual mode.

We don’t know what the software is doing. Manual mode may affect other things than just shifting.

Have you ever seen this symptom when the wheels are getting good traction (not spinning)?

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
We don’t know what the software is doing. Manual mode may affect other things than just shifting.

Have you ever seen this symptom when the wheels are getting good traction (not spinning)?

You always have to be right don’t you? You got your jeep 6 days ago. Have you ever thought for a second that maybe you don’t know what you’re talking about and people with actual experience do?

You’re like that fly that keeps buzzing around your head and won’t leave you alone.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What I have seen, is this problem happen first hand and on multiple occasions and in different situations. What I have done, is talked to 3 different senior level engineers that I personally know at FCA about this and NONE of them said it was related to traction control. But hey, you're the guy with all the answers and really, what would they know.

BillArnett

What I have seen, is this problem happen first hand and on multiple occasions and in different situations. What I have done, is talked to 3 different senior level engineers that I personally know at FCA about this and NONE of them said it was related to traction control.

OK, I guess that eliminates that theory. Did any of those engineers offer an opinion about what's wrong and/or how to fix it? I'm not terribly concerned personally since I intend to use "AutoStick" mode most of the time anyway so your workaround will be fine for me. But someone is going to be injured by this if it isn't fixed.

But hey, you're the guy with all the answers .

If I had all the answers I wouldn't be asking so many questions.

Last edited:

offcamber

Both times that this happened to me in the WK2, the tires weren't breaking traction. The second time it happened as it shifted from 2nd to 3rd. I had plenty of traction, it was just about a 35 deg climb.

I’m too lazy to go out front. Can someone else look in the manual and see where it says to only use manual in 4-lo for extreme off road conditions? I’m sure the lawyers put it in there somewhere.

I’m too lazy to go out front. Can someone else look in the manual and see where it says to only use manual in 4-lo for extreme off road conditions? I’m sure the lawyers put it in there somewhere.

Well shit I just skimmed the whole thing. It doesn’t say only use manual, but it warns a lot about exceeding 25mph in 4-lo. Maybe the software freaks out if it thinks you’re about to blow that and cuts power like a rev limiter? You hammer the gas to climb an obstacle, but because the pitch & yaw (off road pages) thinks your level on the ground it cuts power?

JTCO

Meme King
Well shit I just skimmed the whole thing. It doesn’t say only use manual, but it warns a lot about exceeding 25mph in 4-lo. Maybe the software freaks out if it thinks you’re about to blow that and cuts power like a rev limiter? You hammer the gas to climb an obstacle, but because the pitch & yaw (off road pages) thinks your level on the ground it cuts power?

The yaw is possible. Germans have been using that shit for years. Sounds like from Eddie and Cindys video, in manual mode, it's a non-issue. I bet in a year or less, Jeep will say 'yeah we know about it, it's safer for you, but if you don't like it, here's how you fix it.' And there will be a fix.

13_gecko_rubi

The yaw is possible. Germans have been using that shit for years. Sounds like from Eddie and Cindys video, in manual mode, it's a non-issue. I bet in a year or less, Jeep will say 'yeah we know about it, it's safer for you, but if you don't like it, here's how you fix it.' And there will be a fix.

I’m sure they are aware of it by now based on direct feedback in Moab. Just a hunch.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app