Winch in Stock Plastic (Not Steel) Bumper?

johndan

A local dealer has offered to install a winch in a JL Rubicon that has the stock, plastic bumper. When they contacted Chrysler with the VIN number for this specific Jeep, they were told it was possible using a mounting plate from Mopar.

Both I and the dealer are a little skeptical. Has anyone installed a winch in the stock JL plastic bumper? I know there were some ways to hack a JK stock, plastic bumper for a winch install, but I haven't heard of anything official or authorized by Chrysler for either the JK or the JL.

Thanks,

- Johndan

JTCO

Meme King
I'd be up for the challenge if it was my own Jeep. If you can fit the plate on the frame and sink the winch, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

johndan

Thanks. From what the dealer said, Chrysler says the winch will mount to the frame, so it seems stable. Maybe worth a shot. The service manager is going to call Chrysler back tomorrow to get more details on the install.

LoD Offroad

Advertiser
Supporter
What they mean is they will probably cut your bumper to fit. There don't seem to be any marks on the back of it :crazyeyes:

DSC02537.jpg

tobyw

I don't think it looks too ghetto...

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

I cleaned up the fog light wiring after these pictures were taken, so it's not dangling in the way of the winch spool as it shows here... I'm happy with how it turned out :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it looks too ghetto...

I cleaned up the fog light wiring after these pictures were taken, so it's not dangling in the way of the winch spool as it shows here... I'm happy with how it turned out :)

Well son of a gun!! That actually came out pretty nice - good job :thumb:

tobyw

Well son of a gun!! That actually came out pretty nice - good job :thumb:

Why thank you, sir!! I've done similar on a couple of my JKU's over the years, because I'm one of those wierdo's that actually thinks the lines of the stock bumpers match the Jeep pretty well, and for the majority of the wheeling I do it's not a hindrance.

Here are a couple shots of the progression as I fabricated the winch plate and hacked the stock bumper, if anyone is interested:

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Why thank you, sir!! I've done similar on a couple of my JKU's over the years, because I'm one of those wierdo's that actually thinks the lines of the stock bumpers match the Jeep pretty well, and for the majority of the wheeling I do it's not a hindrance.

Here are a couple shots of the progression as I fabricated the winch plate and hacked the stock bumper, if anyone is interested:

I love this kind of stuff. Great job and thanks for posting the pics. Also, looks like you'll be trimming the fenders, can't wait to see it.

johndan

Really nice install, tobyw. Looks way, way better than the JK hacks I've seen.

The dealer has offered to reduce the price of the JL by a significant amount to offset the cost of purchasing a winch-capable bumper (the Jeep steel bumper or a third-party), so I some additional options to consider.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I sold my 2009 JK a few years ago and I'm looking forward to getting back into a Wrangler.