JL Rubicon towing 3500 GVWR trailer

Roadless

I plan to tow a 3500 GVWR trailer with a Rubicon, when I buy it next year.

I will keep the trailer weight below 3300 and the tongue weight between 10 and 15% of trailer weight.

I will also use a Hensley Arrow.

My question is for those who have towed: how bad is acceleration and what is the hit on gas mileage?

phljeeper

I plan to tow a 3500 GVWR trailer with a Rubicon, when I buy it next year.

I will keep the trailer weight below 3300 and the tongue weight between 10 and 15% of trailer weight.

I will also use a Hensley Arrow.

My question is for those who have towed: how bad is acceleration and what is the hit on gas mileage?

I tow a 3000lb Camper with my JK Rubicon and it does ok. Not great but ok. On flat or nearly flat ground it’s fine but in the mountains it’s terrible. I am running 35s with stock 4.10 gearing so that doesn’t help. Wrangler sure could use a Hemi or diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadless

I tow a 3000lb Camper with my JK Rubicon and it does ok. Not great but ok. On flat or nearly flat ground it’s fine but in the mountains it’s terrible. I am running 35s with stock 4.10 gearing so that doesn’t help. Wrangler sure could use a Hemi or diesel.

Thanks for the response.

By terrible, do you mean third gear for steep inclines or second gear?

How's the gas mileage?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Since I doubt, at this point, anyone has towed with a JL, I’ll give you my JK experience.

I averaged 10.5 mpg, pulling this R-Pod 178 from Mississippi to California, and back. I was in a 2014 JKU with automatic transmission, 4.88 gears, and 35 inch tires.

IMG_8788.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_9905.JPG

It pulled fine, considering it’s a V6. Mountain passes make everyone pulling a trailer slow down, but I could run 60 to 65 mph most of the time. It would pull it faster, but it was easier to maintain 60-65.

I wound up buying a Coachmen Apex Nano 191rbs, after pulling the R-Pod. It’s a little heavier, but it pulled it fine.

IMG_0183.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

Roadless

Nice looking Rig. That is about the size we're looking at.

65 in the mountains if fine with me. I don't plan to set any records with the trailer.

Thanks for the info, that's a big help.

How did you like the Apex Nano, that is one we have been considering?

Last edited:

notnalc68

Nice looking Rig. That is about the size we're looking at.

65 in the mountains if fine with me. I don't plan to set any records with the trailer.

Thanks for the info, that's a big help.

How did you like the Apex Nano, that is one we have been considering?

Oh, you won’t go 65 up some grades, but neither do F250’s, pulling 30 footers.

The Apex is nice. I wish the slide had a couch, instead of the table, though.

phljeeper

I recommend staying within tow ratings. The wrangler is max 3500lb. That Coachmen is 4500lb dry and you probably add 500-800lb worth of gear putting you over 5000lb on a 3500 vehicle. That can create a dangerous situation on the road. The engine isn’t the issue, it’s the wheelbase and chassis.

phljeeper

Thanks for the response.

By terrible, do you mean third gear for steep inclines or second gear?

How's the gas mileage?

Terrible meaning I am in second gear pulling hard and if I need to stop for any reason the Jeep is a major struggle to get going again. I would propose the 35s and 3.5” lift don’t help the situation. Would be better if I regeared. Instead, I just picked up a hemi grand Cherokee and tow with it now. Much improved.

wibornz

We have a truck just to tow a horse trailer. Would love to be able tow 5000 puonds with a JL Rubicon so I could get rid of the truck. My wife tows the horse trailer about three times a year for about fifty miles. So having a truck year round is kinda expensive. She drives about 90 miles a day at 13 miles to the gallon.

ddays v2

We have a truck just to tow a horse trailer. Would love to be able tow 5000 puonds with a JL Rubicon so I could get rid of the truck. My wife tows the horse trailer about three times a year for about fifty miles. So having a truck year round is kinda expensive. She drives about 90 miles a day at 13 miles to the gallon.

I feel your pain as we have the same situation with our horse/camping trailer & truck. 5000# would be sketchy in a Jeep though. I wouldn't chance it. The risks involved far outweigh the benefits. Running out of brakes once would be a disaster let alone the stability issues involved.

notnalc68

I’ve towed with a JK. I’d be willing to fudge a little on the 3500 limit, but not very much. 5000 is way too much, IMO.

notnalc68

I recommend staying within tow ratings. The wrangler is max 3500lb. That Coachmen is 4500lb dry and you probably add 500-800lb worth of gear putting you over 5000lb on a 3500 vehicle. That can create a dangerous situation on the road. The engine isn’t the issue, it’s the wheelbase and chassis.

My Coachmen is 3,446 pounds dry, and I’ve towed it. I know what it does.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62