Rubicon rides “squishy” loaded up

Erockhopper

I loaded up 3 buddies and our Mountain Bikes today and headed out on a little trip. I will say loaded up, the JLU felt squishy and seemed to really float a lot. The springs ride really nice but I definitely would like something a little stiffer.

Anyone towing with the JL yet and have any similar feel?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting you'd say as much. I haven't loaded our JL Rubicon with people but I have with a ton of gear and don't know if I could say that. The coils are soft for sure but I supposed that's how I like them.

Erockhopper

Interesting you'd say as much. I haven't loaded our JL Rubicon with people but I have with a ton of gear and don't know if I could say that. The coils are soft for sure but I supposed that's how I like them.

It’s a different feeling for a Wrangler, I guess the softer ride is something I will just need to get use too[emoji51]

I wondered if the springs will “settle” more and become more noticeable. I load mine up quite often, so it’s something I will be interested in seeing how it “settles” in!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It’s a different feeling for a Wrangler, I guess the softer ride is something I will just need to get use too[emoji51]

I wondered if the springs will “settle” more and become more noticeable. I load mine up quite often, so it’s something I will be interested in seeing how it “settles” in!

I don't know if I could say that especially compared to the old JKUX I had back in the day. Now that was squishy and even unloaded. For me personally, I've always hated the stock ride of JKUR's as I felt they were too firm. In fact, whenever I heard people tell me that their newly installed lift kit rode just like stock, I'd always say how sorry I felt for them. A soft ride allows for a much more comfortable ride off road and especially so when driving fast. But, like I always say, ride quality is 100% subjective. :yup:

As far as settling goes, I can't say that I saw any prior to installing a budget boost or at least, that was noticeable enough to mention.

Erockhopper

For me personally, I've always hated the stock ride of JKUR's as I felt they were too firm. In fact, whenever I heard people tell me that their newly installed lift kit rode just like stock, I'd always say how sorry I felt for them. A soft ride allows for a much more comfortable ride off road and especially so when driving fast. But, like I always say, ride quality is 100% subjective. :yup:

I didn’t run the stock suspension for too long, can’t say I remember it that well. I had the EVO 3” plush ride with the EVO King spec shocks, and I loved that ride, I guess I got a little spoiled, but as you said ride is certainly subjective!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I didn’t run the stock suspension for too long, can’t say I remember it that well. I had the EVO 3” plush ride with the EVO King spec shocks, and I loved that ride, I guess I got a little spoiled, but as you said ride is certainly subjective!

LOL!! Oh yeah, the Plush Ride coils that EVO offers for the JK were some of the best riding coils you could get. I too ran them at one point and time and loved them. That being said, I wonder if what you're feeling is the factory shocks just not being responsive enough.

YAHAHA

What about the Fox shocks that come with the 2" Mopar lift? Does Fox make a shock that would work with your 2.5" lift?

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Iceman47

What about the Fox shocks that come with the 2" Mopar lift? Does Fox make a shock that would work with your 2.5" lift?

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

When I can afford them I'm going with Fox. I had them on my Raptor and loved them.

BillyHW

Once the aftermarket catches up to the JL, there will be an endless supply of suspension upgrades to choose from. I'm looking to get one of those with adjustable stiffness.