Help me choose my tires (please)

ryandamartini

I think Im really set on 255/80/17 tires. For a daily driven Jeep that wont live on the trail, I just dont think I want any bigger as then Im breaking into territory of re gearing, axle strengthening, etc..

As street-a-bility is important as well, these are the ones I'm considering:

BFG KM2 (KO2 is worthless in the wet-mud-sugar sand here in FL. They turn into slime balls and its winch time..every time.)
Cooper S/T Maxx, Looks good overall for a do it all tire. They seem heavy for the size. Overall a good aggressive A/T
Toyo Open Country R/T, Really aggressive A/T with some semblance of street manners
Toyo Open Country AT2, Decently aggressive A/T but worried about their cleaning ability.

Any advice please let me know. Thanks!

JTCO

Meme King
As far as size and regearing, that may not be a concern with the JL. Eddie and Cindy are running 37s and I think he recently posted that they weren't considering regearing based on their recent road trip.

As far as brand, have you looked into Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs? We've found them to be an awesome all around AT tire with an aggressive tread.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think Im really set on 255/80/17 tires. For a daily driven Jeep that wont live on the trail, I just dont think I want any bigger as then Im breaking into territory of re gearing, axle strengthening, etc..

As street-a-bility is important as well, these are the ones I'm considering:

BFG KM2 (KO2 is worthless in the wet-mud-sugar sand here in FL. They turn into slime balls and its winch time..every time.)
Cooper S/T Maxx, Looks good overall for a do it all tire. They seem heavy for the size. Overall a good aggressive A/T
Toyo Open Country R/T, Really aggressive A/T with some semblance of street manners
Toyo Open Country AT2, Decently aggressive A/T but worried about their cleaning ability.

Any advice please let me know. Thanks!

If you're having problems with the KO2, I probably would skip the Toyo AT2 and go with the Copper S/T or Toyo R/T.

NFRs2000NYC

I haven't seen any AT tire that doesn't cake up with slop mud and turn into slicks, so the K02 aren't unique in that regard. I would agree, an MT is the way to go.

ryandamartini

As far as size and regearing, that may not be a concern with the JL. Eddie and Cindy are running 37s and I think he recently posted that they weren't considering regearing based on their recent road trip.

As far as brand, have you looked into Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs? We've found them to be an awesome all around AT tire with an aggressive tread.

I would agree with you if I had the rubicon. No one has shown any real info on the base set of axles yet on the JLU without the anti slip / new Dana 44. I was looking at the Duratracs but they only do the 255 75 17. Really want the 33” skinnys.

If you're having problems with the KO2, I probably would skip the Toyo AT2 and go with the Copper S/T or Toyo R/T.

The Coopers are a good value for sure. Tokyo seems more m/t like and are more expensive. What do you think would be your reasons for one or the other?

I haven't seen any AT tire that doesn't cake up with slop mud and turn into slicks, so the K02 aren't unique in that regard. I would agree, an MT is the way to go.

I always hear about the km2 having weak sidewalls. I am sitting between them, the cooper, or Toyo r/t

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Coopers are a good value for sure. Tokyo seems more m/t like and are more expensive. What do you think would be your reasons for one or the other?

I really like the Coopers being that their tread is more that of a Duratrac. I know that WJCO had mentioned them as well and they would be nicer on the street.

NFRs2000NYC

I really like the Coopers being that their tread is more that of a Duratrac. I know that WJCO had mentioned them as well and they would be nicer on the street.

I can attest to the quality of the Duratrac (especially with the thicker sidewall 315s) from from my 2 jeep 50000 mile experience in ALL conditions, but they do slick out when loaded with sticky milkshake mud. Wet mud they are ok, and dry stuff as well, but as you know, the tighter spaces between the lugs just dont let it shed the mud as easily as an MT. Having said that, you are correct that the tighter spaces make for less noise on the road, as well as a more comfortable/stable ride. The STTs are probably the closest tires to the duratrac lugs, and they even have a bit of siping to help in the wet/snow.

This was taken just after I ran La Sal pass on the outskirts of Moab, which had very thick/sticky mud, like a wendy's frosty, and as you can see, while I made it through, they "slicked" out.

8734744600_b6a56e99d3_b.jpg

*post wasn't aimed at you Eddie, just talking to the OP using your post for context.

BillArnett

I can attest to the quality of the Duratrac (especially with the thicker sidewall 315s) from from my 2 jeep 50000 mile experience in ALL conditions, but they do slick out when loaded with sticky milkshake mud. Wet mud they are ok, and dry stuff as well, but as you know, the tighter spaces between the lugs just dont let it shed the mud as easily as an MT. Having said that, you are correct that the tighter spaces make for less noise on the road, as well as a more comfortable/stable ride. The STTs are probably the closest tires to the duratrac lugs, and they even have a bit of siping to help in the wet/snow.

This was taken just after I ran La Sal pass on the outskirts of Moab, which had very thick/sticky mud, like a wendy's frosty, and as you can see, while I made it through, they "slicked" out.

*post wasn't aimed at you Eddie, just talking to the OP using your post for context.

Very nice photo! Very dramatic light. Is it real or is it photoshop? :)

ryandamartini

Im leaning towards them as well. They seem to be really solid for a swiss army knife and not in a bad way.. Lots of praise around the web.

I do like the Duratracs. Looking to go tall and skinny though. I'd consider the 255 75 though as they are such good all around tires.

I have BFG KM2s on my JK. And I've destroyed a sidewall three times in 7 years. That's just one data point not a statistically valid sample but I'm going to try the Cooper STT Pros for my JL.

Noted. Thank You for your experience.

jweigel

Nitto Makes lots of Tall Skinny

If Nitto Trail Grapplers or some of there other tires woudl work, they have sizes like 285/75R18 or 35x11.50 in 17s, 20s. They just came out with the 35x11.50R17 in a Load range C (has Jeep written all over it). You will only get to about 34" tall with Coopers if you want to stay at 11.5" wide or less. They have a 275/65R20 in the SST Pro. I have lots of history with Trail Grapplers and they are a proven tire. Have over 85K miles on the set on my 12JK now. But just to test them my next set will be the SST Pros.

jjw
ND

NFRs2000NYC

If you are looking for pizza cutters, the duratracs become even better performers. The width of the beefy tires like mine have disadvantages, pizza cutters would definitely help in the mud.

YAHAHA

This thread is almost a year old. Which tires did you buy and what do you think of them?

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.