Rocker protection types

BillArnett

With the JLU being so much longer than I’m used to with my JK 2-door, I’m thinking that a set of rocker guards would be a good idea. It seems that, aside from ones that are just flimsy steps for the mall-crawling crowd, there are two basic types: the kind made from tubes (sometimes with a plate welded between the tubes) (eg. LoD Signature series sliders) and the kind made from plate steel formed into a triangular cross-section (eg. PoisonSpyder Brawler Rockers). Any comments about which kind is best? Things I care about are: strength, ie can it hold up if I drop off of a rock onto it; clearance issues, ie does it add anything that might get hung up on a rock; width, ie is it wide enough to work as a step for my shorty wife and to keep my doors off the rocks when turning yet not so wide as to compromise my turning radius.

BillArnett

The PoisonSpyder Brawlers mount to BOTH the frame (on the body mount bolts) and the body (nutserts). That sounds extra strong to me. BUT maybe it would affect the ride and handling since it effectively eliminates the rubber isolation between the body and the frame??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The PoisonSpyder Brawlers mount to BOTH the frame (on the body mount bolts) and the body (nutserts). That sounds extra strong to me. BUT maybe it would affect the ride and handling since it effectively eliminates the rubber isolation between the body and the frame??

The body mounts are NOT the frame. You can't tie the body to the frame and for the reasons you have assumed. That being said, the body on the JK is super thin and the JL seems even thinner. I have personally seen a JK with these rocker guards take a hit on the Rubicon and... they buckled in the body. Sure, they're super strong but the body of your Jeep isn't.

BillArnett

Ah, I was misinterpreting the Brawler mounting system. It is in fact mounted to the body side of the rubber body/frame isolators. This means it's not connected to the frame at all, as you said. Thanks!

My guess is that they would be perfectly adequate for 99% of the times I would contact them. But that other 1% is the killer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I was misinterpreting the Brawler mounting system. It is in fact mounted to the body side of the rubber body/frame isolators. This means it's not connected to the frame at all, as you said. Thanks!

My guess is that they would be perfectly adequate for 99% of the times I would contact them. But that other 1% is the killer.

LOL!! You're free to "guess" that if you want.