Tools most needed

JL2018

So, I'm still waiting for my JL Rubicon and building a pile of accessories in my garage, but haven't purchased any tools for the Jeep yet.
I want to put together a tool kit I can keep in the jeep and I'm not sure of which tools will be most needed. (I plan on doing a lot of off-roading).

I now I'll need lg torx and allen bits, but what size ranges. Are all the nuts and bolts Metric? will I need large sizes of the wrenches?
Any particular tools come in most handy out in the middle of nowhere?

I'd love to hear your ideas about which tools were most useful to carry with you. Much appreciated in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You will need a complete metric set of sockets and wrenches. Make sure it comes with a 16mm, 18mm, 21mm, 22mm and a 24mm. Not all sets come with these and among other things, they are common on the JL.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

You will need a complete metric set of sockets and wrenches. Make sure it comes with a 16mm, 18mm, 21mm, 22mm and a 24mm. Not all sets come with these and among other things, they are common on the JL.

If, god forbid, I should need to remove an axle shaft, what size socket is needed for the big axle nut? I think someone claimed it’s not the same as the JK.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So, I'm still waiting for my JL Rubicon and building a pile of accessories in my garage, but haven't purchased any tools for the Jeep yet.
I want to put together a tool kit I can keep in the jeep and I'm not sure of which tools will be most needed. (I plan on doing a lot of off-roading).

I now I'll need lg torx and allen bits, but what size ranges. Are all the nuts and bolts Metric? will I need large sizes of the wrenches?
Any particular tools come in most handy out in the middle of nowhere?

I'd love to hear your ideas about which tools were most useful to carry with you. Much appreciated in advance.

This Tekton 15 piece set, goes from 8mm to 22mm. They are actually a pretty decent set of wrenches. I have them. They come in a roll up pouch, perfect for a Jeep. If you are on a mobile device, you’ll need to select, “web view,” to see them.

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?435-Hand-Tools-Wrenches-Sockets-Torx-etc

IMG_1559.JPG

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If, god forbid, I should need to remove an axle shaft, what size socket is needed for the big axle nut? I think someone claimed it’s not the same as the JK.

Not sure who claimed that but I just went out to verify and you'll need a 36mm socket for it.

This Tekton 15 piece set, goes from 8mm to 22mm. They are actually a pretty decent set of wrenches. I have them. They come in a roll up pouch, perfect for a Jeep. If you are on a mobile device, you’ll need to select, “web view,” to see them.

Yup, this is a good kit :thumb:

JL2018

View attachment 1952

Thanks, looked for an appropriate thread before posting, but didn't see it.

BillArnett

Thanks to Ronald Reagan, you'll probably also need a set of "English" tools, too, especially if you have any "made is USA" after-market parts. :mad:

JL2018

Thanks to Ronald Reagan, you'll probably also need a set of "English" tools, too, especially if you have any "made is USA" after-market parts. :mad:

Thanks,

I have plenty of tools, but since I'm spending so much for the jeep I thought I should get a new set specific to it. I didn't want to carry a "garage " with me when I take trips like the Rubicon trail (already planned for July) Or Moab, but I definitely want to have what I may need on hand. So it would be nice to hear the items that most come in handy when out in the sticks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks,

I have plenty of tools, but since I'm spending so much for the jeep I thought I should get a new set specific to it. I didn't want to carry a "garage " with me when I take trips like the Rubicon trail (already planned for July) Or Moab, but I definitely want to have what I may need on hand. So it would be nice to hear the items that most come in handy when out in the sticks.

I don't know, I pretty much carry a duplicate of what I have in my garage including a welder. It sucks but I've used everything that I bring with me at least once and if not on my Jeep, on someone else's.

JTCO

Meme King
Thanks,

I don't know, I pretty much carry a duplicate of what I have in my garage including a welder. It sucks but I've used everything that I bring with me at least once and if not on my Jeep, on someone else's.

I do the same as Eddie mentioned. Some stuff is worth carrying even if it seems cumbersome/overkill. The ability to get yourself or someone else back to civilization safely should be a priority. I've seen more stuff repaired with zip ties, wire, clamps, duct tape, spare hoses etc more than tools themselves.
Carry fluids as well, it will only take one breakdown with no fluids to make you wish you'd been carrying them. As far as tools, I carry pretty much all of this stuff on every trail (the chainsaw is probably overkill but there's a story behind that, lol):

DSC04058.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do the same as Eddie mentioned. Some stuff is worth carrying even if it seems cumbersome/overkill. The ability to get yourself or someone else back to civilization safely should be a priority. I've seen more stuff repaired with zip ties, wire, clamps, duct tape, spare hoses etc more than tools themselves.
Carry fluids as well, it will only take one breakdown with no fluids to make you wish you'd been carrying them. As far as tools, I carry pretty much all of this stuff on every trail (the chainsaw is probably overkill but there's a story behind that, lol):

LOL!! Looks pretty close to what I carry :crazyeyes:

Oh, and FLUIDS for sure!! It's the one thing that you can't jerryrig, make or macgyver.

JTCO

Meme King
FLUIDS for sure!! It's the one thing that you can't jerryrig, make or macgyver.

Lol. You were the first one I heard make that statement. I didn't really put an urgent priority on it. It only took ONE TIME where fluids were needed and they are now carried EVERY TIME. Lol.