Air hoses

BillArnett

My ARB CKMTA12 arrived yesterday. Reading thru the instructions I noticed that they say the air coming out will get pretty hot and that that may be in issue for the hose if it's used to fill more than "a few" tires. One fix is to use a tank (or some other kind of inter-cooler like the ARB 171503 Air Compressor Manifold) but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I'll be filling up 37x13.5 tires. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've been running an inexpensive coiled hose between my JK's Powerplant and my inflator. ARB's website says, "this air compressor requires a unique, high-heat tolerant hose" like their ARB 171302. Is that for real or just marketing-speak? Also, is there a significant difference in air hoses with respect to flow rate from a compressor like the ARB CKMTA12?

I suppose I could just buy one of those ARB hoses and make some measurements ;-(

JTCO

Meme King
I'm not an engineer nor do I plan on testing anything specifically, but I run the ARB orange hose that a lot of people do with the ARB twin compressor. I have filled up 8 tires in a row twice before (compressor pretty much ran constantly for 15 minutes) and the hose was no hotter than it usually is when I use it. I was still able to disconnect it from the compressor without hurting my fingers. Yes, it is hot, but it's not that bad. Granted, I keep the compressor in the Jeep, not under the hood. But I still feel the heat when I'm done using it, but it's not something I worry about.

RMC2

You could add a longer section of the braided steel line with the quick disconnect on the end. Then the orange hose. I have the tiny manifold, but haven’t used it enough yet.

WWRuby_Svi

See if you can find out the material on your hoses... not sure what rubber is rated for, polypropylene is a regular temp (I think around 150), and nylon is a high temp.

We use poly and nylon in our products at work but I don’t have the specs in front of me. McMaster, smc, Parker, legris, automation direct, or other sites probably have specs for different airline materials

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not an engineer nor do I plan on testing anything specifically, but I run the ARB orange hose that a lot of people do with the ARB twin compressor. I have filled up 8 tires in a row twice before (compressor pretty much ran constantly for 15 minutes) and the hose was no hotter than it usually is when I use it. I was still able to disconnect it from the compressor without hurting my fingers. Yes, it is hot, but it's not that bad. Granted, I keep the compressor in the Jeep, not under the hood. But I still feel the heat when I'm done using it, but it's not something I worry about.

This ^^^

Back when I was still using an ARB compressor, I just used the orange hose and never had a problem. I did have it mounted under the hood and yes, it could get pretty hot at the connector but nothing that couldn't be dealt with.

texasbryan

This ^^^

Back when I was still using an ARB compressor, I just used the orange hose and never had a problem. I did have it mounted under the hood and yes, it could get pretty hot at the connector but nothing that couldn't be dealt with.

What compressor do you use now? I’m looking for ideas.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What compressor do you use now? I’m looking for ideas.

Well, on my 2 JK's, I've been running WARN PowerPlants. I absolutely love that option best but wanted to run something new for a winch on our JL and got the Zeon 10s. For now, I'm just using a portable Smittybilt compressor I got in a pinch a few years back but will most likely either install a ARB compressor or carry a portable one.

texasbryan

Well, on my 2 JK's, I've been running WARN PowerPlants. I absolutely love that option best but wanted to run something new for a winch on our JL and got the Zeon 10s. For now, I'm just using a portable Smittybilt compressor I got in a pinch a few years back but will most likely either install a ARB compressor or carry a portable one.

Gotcha. I went with the Zeon 10S as well. I have a Viair 400P which works great but lately I've been considering installing an ARB onboard system.

I'm wondering if an ARB could be installed in the muffler area if I removed it for a cat-back exhaust system. Do you know if they can get wet? Something tells me a little water is not a big deal, but getting really wet could cause problems.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha. I went with the Zeon 10S as well. I have a Viair 400P which works great but lately I've been considering installing an ARB onboard system.

I'm wondering if an ARB could be installed in the muffler area if I removed it for a cat-back exhaust system. Do you know if they can get wet? Something tells me a little water is not a big deal, but getting really wet could cause problems.

I would strongly recommend AGAINST mounting a compressor like this underneath your Jeep. Trust me, I've tried it and it only takes one deep water crossing to get it to fail.

JTCO

Meme King

Anything under your Jeep will get REALLY wet even if you stay on pavement. It just happens. Just look at any vehicle over a few years old and look at the surface rust on just about any undercarriage part.

wibornz

I am looking at a WARN 12,000 PowerPlant winch. Do you know if the winch will fit between the frame rails on a JL Rubicon. I like the looks of the winch sitting in the bumper instead of on top of the bumper. I want air on the trail and a winch and was thinking that a combo kills two birds with one stone. Also less wiring and hassles for the install.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I am looking at a WARN 12,000 PowerPlant winch. Do you know if the winch will fit between the frame rails on a JL Rubicon. I like the looks of the winch sitting in the bumper instead of on top of the bumper. I want air on the trail and a winch and was thinking that a combo kills two birds with one stone. Also less wiring and hassles for the install.

Can’t imagine it would t fit. It fit on a JK.

JTCO

Meme King

Can’t imagine it would t fit. It fit on a JK.

Looks like it does. A member posted a pic in another thread. Doesn't recess too deep, but then again, it's a fucking Warn PowerPlant: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...ot-Steel)-Bumper&p=13618&viewfull=1#post13618

IMG_0418.jpg