KMC/XD Beadlock Wheels

bjbglover

I would like to purchase a set of KMC XD Michete Beadlock wheels (17x9) for my Jeep. Mainly for looks, but some off-roading (25%).
1. Can the KMC Beadlocks be balance properly? I was told the beadlocks would cause shimmying/vibration at highway speeds.
2. I have a 4 inch lift and want to run 37" tires. Should I go with 12.5" or 13.5" width tires?
3. The KMC Michete has -38 offset. Any issues with rubbing? Will the tires set out too far from the jeep?
4. Are there any issues with running beadlocks over standard wheels?
Thanks for your help!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to purchase a set of KMC XD Michete Beadlock wheels (17x9) for my Jeep. Mainly for looks, but some off-roading (25%).
1. Can the KMC Beadlocks be balance properly? I was told the beadlocks would cause shimmying/vibration at highway speeds.
2. I have a 4 inch lift and want to run 37" tires. Should I go with 12.5" or 13.5" width tires?
3. The KMC Michete has -38 offset. Any issues with rubbing? Will the tires set out too far from the jeep?
4. Are there any issues with running beadlocks over standard wheels?
Thanks for your help!

For your needs, I might recommend that you just get a street lock (fake beadlock) version of the wheel. I'm pretty sure KMC has something like it. But, to answer your questions.

1. Not sure who told you that but your tires are what "may" need balancing. The beadlock wheels will NOT cause shimmying or vibrations at highway speeds. Also, not all tires require balancing, just ones that aren't balanced. That being said, it can be difficult to find a shop that will balance a beadlock wheel.

2. You really have a 4" lift for your JL?? Who makes it??

3. If I recall correctly, the Machetes have 3.5" of back spacing and you should not have any rubbing issues with them or at least in terms of turning left to right. While they may rub the fenders at a full stuff being that they will push the tires out, if you really have 4" of lift, this shouldn't be an issue.

4. Yes, they are a LOT of work to install and it can be very difficult to find a shop that will balance them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input. Do you recommend 12.5” or 13.5” tires?

12.50 is a more standard width and one that you can get in a softer load range D. The 13.50's do offer a bigger footprint but they can be a bit harder to mount and only come in a load range E. Some people find this to be too hard for daily driving but I like them as the sidewalls are a lot stronger.

bjbglover

Sorry for the confusion on lift. I currently have a 2015 JK with 4” lift and plan to get a JL. I really like the KMC beadlocks. I like the look and have found a place to mount/balance them. I love the 231RGs on wayolife JL. Do you ride on the road and trail or just trail? Any issues?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the confusion on lift. I currently have a 2015 JK with 4” lift and plan to get a JL. I really like the KMC beadlocks. I like the look and have found a place to mount/balance them. I love the 231RGs on wayolife JL. Do you ride on the road and trail or just trail? Any issues?

Ah, okay. I drive everywhere with my Jeep and even clear across the country. No issues with mine :)

bjbglover

I have tried to find an imitation beadlock that I like but no success. Again, I love the XD look! Please explain why you recommend a imitation beadlock versus the KMC beadlock. Also, the Michete is -38 offset (3.5” B/S). In your opinion, will the tire protrude too far outside the fender?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have tried to find an imitation beadlock that I like but no success. Again, I love the XD look! Please explain why you recommend a imitation beadlock versus the KMC beadlock. Also, the Michete is -38 offset (3.5” B/S). In your opinion, will the tire protrude too far outside the fender?

Beadlocks are a LOT of work to install and it can be tough to find a shop that will balance them. They also cost a LOT more money. If you're okay with all that and just for looks, KMC makes a great beadlock. 3.5" is a standard back spacing and one that I've run plenty of times in the past. The amount they'll stick out is only a problem in that they'll put more wear and tear on your unit bearings and ball joints. Not that big of a deal to me but typically something that others seem to care about being that worn out components can lead to things like death wobble. So long as you're okay with these components needing to be replaced sooner than their normal intervals, they're a great wheel to run.